I've been having pain in my sternum about 3 years now and it's progressviely gotten worse. The only way to relieve the pain is by stretching my arms in order to pop my chest. It literately makes a cracking noise when I do this, and it hurts like hell. I'm thinking it's more than just costochondritis. I've been reading stuff on the internet about osteomyelitis, and it sounds like something I'm going through. Along with the sternum pain is nausea and severe fatigue (malaise).

What kind of doctor should I see for this besides my primary doctor, because he seems really disinterested in helping me. Should I see a orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatologists?

I just googled sternum pain while I'm at work because all of a sudden my sternum started hurting... like there was a lot of pressure on it.. I havent been able to crack it yet but I tried stretching and it seemed to help a little. I've never injured myself in that area (knock on wood) but I have noticed that I have been having faint spells over the last couple weeks and I've been very fatigued in situations I normally wouldn't be... even though I generally feel like I have energy...

is this what you're feeling?