I had neck surgery on 10/25/06. I was given too much Morphine (40mg in 2 hours). I stopped breathing. My heart did not stop but chest compressions were done to get me breathing on my own. Now I am having bad chest/sternum pains.

This morning I turned the wrong way apparently and it felt like a knife went thorugh me. I have left a message for my nurse to call but I wondered if anyone had any advice or comments. If it is a cracked sternum I suppose there is no treatment but I need to know for sure what's causing the pain. Couldn't more damage be done if the problem is not addressed? Any ideas?

hi, if as you said chest compressions were performed, then it is quite likely that you will experience pain following this experience. during compressions the rescuer will use two hands to compress your chest to a third of its depth to pump the heart and ensure that adequate blood supply reaches the brain. in cases of respiratory arrest it would be rather unusual to perform compressions unless your heart rate slowed to a particular rate. contacting the liasion nurse is the best step and it may be worth taking an analgesic ( painkiller ) if you are allowed, otherwise time will probably be the best healer. hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. I did go to the ER yesterday and I have a fractured sternum. I guess I will have to deal with the pain for about 6 weeks. It hurts every time I move. So frustrating.

glad you've got it sorted and on the bright side at least you are alive to feel it!! dont worry the pain should lessen as time goes on and in the meantime there are some pretty effective analgesics available. get well soon.

Thank you so much for your support. I guess the saying "time heals all wounds" is partially correct. I have other wounds that will never heal. I lost my only child of 16 to suicide in 2002. That one will never heal. I am a survivor. To lose a child is definitely the worst. I can handle the sternum pain!

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I have also had CPR about a month ago and it does get better with time. The pain is almost gone but still there but minimal. Hang In there bud, you will get better before you know it. Hope this helps!

I know that pain. Mine was 16, lost in 2012. We found him. Horrible PTSD from that. Hugs

nothing on here seems to answer the simple question can you relieve CPR pain after receiving it. anythingextremely disappointed with your answers.

Well, it's keeping me from being able to speak, it is the worse pain IV had in my life!!

For real... I'm over here and I feel dead from my cpr and now I'm realizing that I have to go through the pain for a while. It's already been a week.

I had CPR done to me by a friend, bless her heart. But i now wake up everyday in pain. ER AND XRAYS show no breaks or fractures but my chest and heart HURT. It has been two weeks. Will I live with this forever? Doctor basically acted like I was lying it hurts so bad.

CPR can be painful.. my niece was brought from death 2x within 1 hr and she was on ICU intubated. She is out of the ICU now but she had lots of Angina pain d/t CPR.. It will take some time the sternum to heal and the only thing can be done is pain pills to allivate the pain..

I am taking acetaminophen with codeine, but I will ask for something stronger tomorrow from my doctor. The pain is extremely intense, even just breathing. I suggest you contact your doctor.

I Feel Your pain. I just went in for a routine MRI for my Multiple Sclerosis and they gave me a contrast dye without premedicating me with prednisone. I went into anaphylactic shock, my heart stopped for 4 minutes and they had to intubate me. When I was in ICU they had me on so many pain meds but none when I left. I bought all different sizes of Icy Hot pathe put one right on my sternum and the bigger ones around my rib cage. Alternating motrin and Tylenol and soaking in Epsom salt helped. Still sucks though.

Iam so sorry you lost your son. I wish I could ease your pain. I stumbled across your comment when my daughter who I had saved with CPR, was complaining of chest pain. So I googled if it is normal after CPR, for her to be experiencing pain. And I saw your post and Iam sitting here balling my eyes out thinking about the pain that won't heal for you. Again, Iam so sorry for your loss. God bless you and keep you safe.