About three or four months ago, my chest began to hurt in the sternum area. It began as what the doctor would call costrocondritis. But that is suppossed to go away after a while. This did not. Sometimes it would be ok, but somedays, getting out of bed was hard. The entire length of both sides of my sternum felt as if they were on fire! The littlest movement to the left, right, down, up, checking my blindspot while driving would set it off. The most annoying was when I would be stomach down on the ground propped up on my elbows watching tv and then trying to get up. I felt as if someone kicked me in the chest!

I have read all the posts on this on this board, but there are still no answers. Now the pain has centered itself right in the middle of my sternum. When I cough it hurts and when I sneeze, I feel and hear this popping soung coming from, I think, my esophogus.

This is really scary. Anyone have any luck with understanding this strange medical issue?

Jennifer, I too, have been having something similar. I went to dr., said it was form of costocondritis. I took an nsaid for a month and got some relief, but when i quit, the pain returned. It hurts when I cough, sneeze, turn to look over my shoulder, and when i push on my breastbone. My heart is in great shape, so it's not that. My family is tired of my complaining, but I'm at my wit's end with the pain I hope someone can be of help to us both. I'm otherwise a healthy 40 year old female.

What has happened after this?

I had a similar situation and my boyfriend told me that this must be costochondritis, but when I went to see my doctor he did this famous x -ray and it showed that I have cracked sternum.

It looks like that pain is the same when you are dealing with these two types of condition. I remember that I was not able to sneeze, laugh louder, cough, etc. Every move that looked like this caused me a lot of pain and this pain was restricting my daily activities all the time.

So, are there any exercises that I can do while I am having this condition? 

I get it too...I injured myself while climbing into a boat. I had a gastroenterology scope and it revealed a hiatal hernia after several bouts with pain. So I think pulling myself up forced the stomach up into the esophogus and right near the sternum is the Diaphram which is where the LES sits and is choking of the stomach.

i am really wondering what this is. I have pain in the middle of my back between the shoulder blades and pressure in the chest. I have the exact same symptoms where at night it will hurt, in fact its hard to sleep because I lay on my side and the pressure is intense. In the morning I am so sore in my chest, and it is ok during the day alot. sometimes the chest pain feels like strained muscles in the chest. it hurts so bad and i am an active student and 16 year old. its hard to explane this to my mom because she does not beleive me. and i am in pain all the time. :cry: :cry:

I have the same problem, my sternum hurts from the middle down to the bottom of it. especially when I sneeze, or apply pressure to the area. I have read all of the post and have not read if anyone has discovered what it is. I do not have insurance to go to the doctor, so I am depending on reading posts. please reply if you have found anything out.

Thank you

I know it's been over a year since you've posted, so I hope you are already better.

I had the same pain, it was terrible, had every test available with no luck. I went to a new RMT and she asked all my health info. I told her about this pain and she said she'd take a look.

So while she's massaging she pushed in and asked, is this where the centre of your pain is? I groaned. It was a knotted up tendon that slid under my shoulder blade! It took a few sessions and I've been great since!

jelomu wrote:

JenniferM wrote:

I had the same lkind of pain. My chiropractor did an adjustment and said that it was a knot there on one side and that sometimes a blow to the shoulder can cause it but after his adjustment where he stood behind me and had his hand on one part of muy chest then I took a deep breath and fell back towards him, keeping my feet on the ground. It was amazing. It also took care of the pain I was feeling in my hip and groin area....Two more treatements and I am doing fine. It is sore, but a soreness that feels like it is gettting better. Those knots are tenseion and can cause all kinds of things to hurt. Thank you Chiropractic as no doctor could address it.

yeah tell me bout it i get the exact same thing doctors cant seem to tell me wats wrong either just wish it would end

I suffereed with this pain for 4 years, many times believing it was a heart attack. I had every test imaginable and all came up clear.

I went for a massage with a new RMT, she took a health history before she began and I told her about the pain. Within 5 minutes of moving her hands over my back she pushed her finger on the exact area where I had believed my pain begins.

It turns out it was a knot in my ligiment and it slipped under my shoulder blade! It took about two or three treatments and she was able to release the knot. I will now sometimes feel like a twinge, and I'll go back to make sure everything is still good.

Find a good RMT and see if this helps!!

Did you ever figure this out? Your symptoms sound just like what I am experiencing.

I am having the same problem but it feels as if he pain is more severe along the left side of my body, I'm wondering if this is a common problem in people my age as my doctor dismissed it and said it can't be anything serious, it also seems to hurt even when I breathe deeply and I am starting to get worried also I am 20 years old

It can be caused by a slipped rib, go to the doctor then maybe a chiropractor .

I have this same type of pain. It sits right in the middle of my sternum to the left. This started happening AFTER I was hit by a car almost 12 yrs ago, and ever since pain. This morning as I'm typing this, I have the worst pain of all in my sternum. I went about a week or so ago for the same thing, and the doctor said it was nothing, and I just needed to exercise. So I've been exercising and I still have pain. I truly feel line I'm about to kill over. I am doing my research, so I can find out what it is.

Visit a Registered massage therapist.
Also do a vitamin D blood test