For about the past year I have had a tightness/knotty feeling that feels like it is in my spine between my shoulder blades and a few inches below my shoulder blades. I had my gallbladder remover about the same time this began. The above tightness is accompanied simaultaneously by a tightness/knotty feeling in my sternum. This problem is there almost 100% of the time. 90%of the time the pain is about a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10.About 10% of the time this tightness in my spine and sternum increases to about a 5 or 6 on a pain scale of 1 to 10. As the pain increases it begins to radiate across my shoulders,in my neck and down into both arms. The only medication that has eased this pain has been predinsone. The pain is somewhat relieved by very hot showers but begins again after the shower and worsens throughout the day. The pain returned right after I finished the prednisone. I have found that I can press on the tightness in my sternum and it will pop my sternum and pop my back giving me a little relief. I am constantly popping my sternum and thorasic spine all day long just to get relief. I sometimes have sharp pains at other places in my ribcage then press on this sharp pain and it will pop my back directly opposite from the location of the pain. I have been cleared of all esopohageal and cardiac problems by my gi Dr. And cardio. I did have an mri is the t spine that showed mild arthritic changes which my gp said was normal for a 35 y/o male. Due to the chronic nature of this pain I have been struggling to continue living my normal happy life. My general practitier is at a loss of where to go next and has resorted to just treating my nerves/anxiety with zoloft. He thinks that my anxiety might be causing this. I do not believe this I lived 34 years before this without any anxiety problems and believe that this pain is what is bringing on my anxiety and not vice versa... Any insight is appreciated...

I have the exact same problem. I press on my sternum and it cracks along with my back . I sneeze and my whole back cracks. I am an asthmatic, so i think sometimes this might have to do with it. I was also put on zoloft because i started getting anxiety attacks. I did find that yoga and deep breathing is helping me. I crack my sternum and back all day long, because i get some type of relief. My left shoulder blade has a spot that if i press on it hurts bad. I also try infrared heat. This was amazing, but the hothouse unit was $900.00. I'm saving money so i can purchase one. I hope this imfo helps. Your imfo helped me.

I have had similar pain but not nearly as severe. Nevertheless, it was disturbing to say the least. I would often get the pain after sitting at my computer all morning and then walking home to lunch about two blocks I would often get a gradual pain between my shoulder blades that seemed to also affect my forearms near my wrists. I have had a rib that "pops" out as a result of an injury when I was in my 30's. I too twist many times a day to relieve the mild pain in my back and it usually clicks.
I found on the internet a site from a chiropractor who describes this syndrome exactly. He called it ATV for anterior thoracic vertebrae which doesn't describe the syndrome as much as the area involved. He explains how the ribs and vertebrae will move and slip and create a condition of either a gradual or rapid onset of the pain between the shoulders.
Therapy is performed by a combination of chiropractic and physical therapy.

I had similiar chest pains, I went to the DR> when i couldn't take it anymore, she did a chest MRI. the radiologists found the clot, and I was in the hospital for 5 days.

If your insured get your self checked

I have been having simaler problems for about 6 months, with back pain only in the last 6 weeks. Finally went to see my Physicians Assistant and he refered me to my old physical therapist. Have only been once so far and had no relief. I can't crack my back by pressing on my sternum but can press on my sternum and either increase or decrease the pain in my back. When having a hot shower I can stand bent with hands on knees and crack that whole area (about C3-C-6 or 7) and get some momentary relief but usually by the time I am out and dry the relief has passed. I was wondering if you ever got any other info or an actual diagnosis from anyone. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

I also get this a lot!! I am 21 years old and a student in college. I find that the more I sit upright, the more problems I have with my back. Could it be that we all work in desks or something? I have yet to figure out what the problem is. I find that when I crack my back, the pain almost immediately disappears. My breastbone has been cracking recently too, which is uncomfortable, but definitely worries me a bit since I didn't even know it could do that! I can crack my back anywhere from 30-50 times a day, and it will crack each and every single time. If anyone finds any reason for this, please post it!

I have the EXACT same symptoms. This came on suddenly, and has been getting worse each week it seems, for the past several months now. My doctor thinks it's anxiety related, however, my pain is causing anxiety, not vice versa - I was feeling great until my back started aching all the time. I've tried several times, trying to describe to my Dr., how these "episodes" feel, but he just doesn't understand. And it's scary that heart-related problems can cause similar symptoms. Has anyone tried any over-the-counter medication, or anything besides Zoloft? I took that in the past during a divorce, and it seemed to "take the edge off", and I'm tempted to get some again to see if it eases these back/sternum issues. I absolutely HATE taking medicine, especially long term. There's got to be an explanation & an effective treatment for this. . . it's so nerve-racking to deal with EVERY day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have had this same problem for at least the past year. I have been to docs and done all the heart tests and nothing. So that part makes me feel a lot better. But this chest and back tightness thing keeps getting worse. Have any of you guys gotten an answer?

it sounds like "slipping rib syndrome" or Tietze syndrome....

I have the EXACT same thing. It's comforting to hear I am not the only person out there that no Doc's can seem to diagnose. I have never been able to crack or pop my sternum - however - I am going to try if there's even a slight chance at relief. The back pain (right between my shoulder blades and radiating downward and outward also in the front center of chest) is a huge life sucker. I am cranky and down some days wondering why me - I am almost jealous of those that aren't in constant pain. Especially first thing in the morning is when mine gets really bad. NOTHING has given me relief. I have been to more GI docs than there are in my area. I have had more endoscopy's than I really want to admit. I have had 2 stomach surgery's. My gall bladder is gone. I get heartburn from the stress of this pain. I do NOT have anxiety problems. My heart, lungs, bloodwork, etc look great. Yet I am in pain 75% of every day. It seems to get a little better during the day (or I ignore it better because I am very busy) with the worst symptoms being at night right before bed and as soon as I wake up in the morning. Although for the past 11 years that I have been dealing with this it seems to have gotten progressively worse in the past 4 months. I am scheduled for a spinal MRI finally and I still have hope albeit not much that someday someone is going to actually help me. Hang in there!!!

I sincerely hope I can be of Helo! I am a 25 y/o female who has been to the emergency room a countless number of time for severe pain between my right shoulder blade and my spine. It starts as a dull throb and then within 10 mins. it's so severe it hurts to move, or breathe etc. It gets so bad it tires my stomache out like I had done 100 situps in just a few second. The ER has done x-rays more than once and found nothing, bloodwork - nothing...and even thought it might be due do reflux so they gave me a throat numbing agent to see if I might have throat spasms so to speak. This only seemed to help a little and I think it was just coincidentally easing up at the time they gave it to me. For the past 5 years I have dealt with this and it's VERY annoying! They do tell me though that it sounds muscle related since breathing cold air intensifies the pain. So I started to take 800 ml. skelaxin and this helps some, but I found a natural remedy and it will truly change your life. I swore up and down that it wouldn't work because it seemed it was more my bones since it would ease a little by popping it...but I promise you if this is the same pain,it'll work.... my mother in law uses it and so now I've been ordering it like crazy! It's called sunjing. You can buy it online and it's a lifesaver. I do suggest you get the best medical checkups necessary to rule out anything else, but this ease and most of the time completely cure the pain. Matter of fact I just had to use it and that's why I'm on here telling you about it. The pain got so bad I couldn't function day to day~ It's available in a roll on liquid, and a little bit goes a long way.... it smells kinda like spearmint, but I do know it has eucalyptus in it and a few other natural simple and safe things. Hope it helps if so email me and let me know~~~~!!!!!!

I have been having the same type of backpain between the shoulders accompanied by a numb patch on and off for nearly 20 years. I too have had various test in the past that came up with zilch, I have taken zoloft for stress too. in my case it seems that lack of sleep and stress make me more prone to it, but it also seems to have triggers - inhaling certain types of fumes (tonight I seem to have got it from inhaling a small amount of chlorine based bathroom cleaner {exit mould}) while cleaning the shower. I my case it seems to be some type of nerve/vascular thing, possibly an alergy? I am suspicious of fungal spores, they are sometimes around in wood and other objects which have been stored in damp locations and then dryed out. In any case it a longterm puzzle to me and I'm off to the doctor to get it checked out again soon. BTW I am 41 years old .....

I am 27 and have had back and sternum pain for most of my life I have what is generally known as pigeon chest where the chest is concaved towards the middle and the sternum protruds out and thorsaic back pain mainly between the shoulder blades I have been to countless chiorpractors and PT's the only way to get relief is to be cracked on a regular basis and to have extremely strong core muscles in the ab area not the six pack abs but the core abs you have many layers of abs and generally speaking people tend to think of the six pack but it is the core when breathing your stomach should be out when breathing in and in when breathing out this willhelp strenghten these muscles and help with the pain I can not take pain relievers due to liver damage now that I have recieved from Dr.'s drugs and worst case you could have a clot but it is very unlikely try and hit the gym....

sounds like a zoloft side effect to me, i have this searing pain in my shoulder after a shower, hurts ALOT then it just goes away by itself. no real biggy until once it happened at work during the day and i got really freaked. the pain is so bad, like someone is pushing on my shoulder burning it

I am a 33 year old male and have had this problem for about 3 years now. I have had all kinds of tests done. I do have bad acid reflux and am on medication for that. However, my pain with my chest has gotten worse. It pops and cracks and I have discomfort with in my shoulder blades too. My breast bone is very sore right now and I "pop" it throughout the day. I've been to a Chiropractor and she called it "Costochondritis." My visits unfortunately did not help. Maybe if I try another chiropractor more familiar with this problem. Ironically I too was put on Prozac for anxiety problems. I can't help but wonder what's wrong. I'm 5'10, 160 pounds and in good shape. I don't understand why my sturnum and shoulder blades hurt all the time.