About 2 months ago I started getting this intense pain in my sternum area. The pain slightly radiates up into my chest but mostly under my sternum and down my torso and under my ribcage. I can't even explain the pain, it's different than anything I've ever experienced before. It hurts so bad that I get extremely nauseous and inevitably throw up. This has happened now about 7 times and every time it seems to be worse than the last. I have fibromyalgia so I constantly get muscle spasms and I have a lot of painful trigger points. I want to know if this has something to do w/ it. %-)

The first time it happened, I felt like I was having a heart attack because it seemed to be more painful on the left side. My arms were weak and my hands got a tingling feeling in them. My husband took me to the ER and I got an EKG and blood test. The tests came back normal and the doctors were stumped, which is frustrating. When these 'attacks' occur, there is nothing to do but ride it out. They have lasted up to an hour and they are seriously unbearable! Has anyone out there had this happen to them? The other thing that is frustrating is that since nothing but time helps it go away, my husband feels helpless and my 7 yr. old son can't stand to see me in such pain. :-(

Please... If anyone can shed some light on this or if you have had this happen before, REPLY to this. Please.

i have had this same sternal pain. went to er thought it was heart. all test ekgs all normal as well. was told it was muscle spams from my fibro and also I had an old injury.I just lifet to coushoin up on the couch and tried to vaccum under it, in doing so i pulled my rib cage out of it;s facets and rotated my t-spine . therefore i was diagnosed after months and months of horrable pain with rib dysfunction and a rotated t-spine. rhuemy did not help this matter and i was not going to a pain clinic to get injections, already had that done in fla. right after the injury, the dr there just told me my rib cage was very angey.
so to break it dowm i went to chriopractor of all things i waas desperate and she took x rays and i could actully see the injury now old (I'm a radiology technolgist ) so i could read my own fiml and i knew it was my bdoy. my chiro does not believe in popping and cracking and maipulation she uses what they call and actavater on my trigger poitns and we did agggressive work 3 times a weeek for 2 months now i'm down to 1 or 2 times and the results have been great i've had alot of pain free days. maybe you might want to check this out. for me it works honestly. i was in so much pain i was ready to do anything never thinking i would go to a chirop. i also get light masages and take muscles relaxers prescribed by my rhuemy. hope this helps it's woth ging a try . look around and try to find a chiro that uses this method it's a little hand held unit that thye tap the triiger point with. who would have thought it would work. also she put me on a tens unit slight electrical shocks or massages I wear on some tight muscles. what ever you do in exercising do not do squats the pain i got from that stunt was unbearable and bed ridden couldn't even get up to go to chiro once i was able she got me back on track and that was last week today i've been pain free, until the next bout. holing my breath,hope this helped you good luck prayers go out toyou and family hang in there people do care, bev

hi,

I too have had this several times and it has lasted between 5 hours and 2 hours each time.
The final time i went to ER because i thought it was my heart but all the tests came back normal.
the doc thinks it is GORD (gastro osophogus reflex disease) and i am awaiting an appointment for them to put the camera down my throat (lucky me!) apparantely your osophogus goes into a spasm and it mimics heart pain.
I also suffer from crohns disease so it could have something to do with that.

you have my sympathy because it is an awful experience - here's hoping you don't get it again.

xx

hi, I too have had this horrible pain. I went on a site for fibromyalgia and one of the possible symptoms is called costochondritis, tietze's syndrome. What I couldnt believe, as I have been experiencing this on and off for a good month now, that my family doctor and rheumotologist hadnt "heard" of this. I have had x-rays, cardiologist visits, all sorts of tests and when I read about this it blew me away. I hope this helps you.

Hello Shorrocks,
Quote:

I believe that story with your GP and Rheumatologist. It was never mentioned to me before.

I am a Medical Practitioner for 5 years Post Graduated and I had always Shoulder pain L and epigastrium pain, BP high during the onset of pain. I studied medicine and at the moment I work on my PhD but I do not really know, for how long I will work. I saw a colleague of mine in the Hospital he is from India, very good doctor, he is the first who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I had symptoms since my childhood, but non of the Docs treated me for such. I was an obese child and I am still obese. But I always had joint pain and I was only active in water, Rescue Swimmer with 14 Silver with the German Lifeguards and in the summer. After a few years in the sun, studies in Florida, I had no symptoms for a few years, or only mild, treated with Physiotherapy. Warm always good for me. Last year it came so sudden, I saw a GP in private, he did ECG,Bloods,gastroscopy,X-Ray Thorax, Echocardiogram and physical exam. NOTHING! I am fit and healthy and my be mad!
Well it was good to know, that I am not sick! And noting is in my records, so I can purchase Health insurance and Income Protection Insurance. I am walking away from your Subject. Sorry for that and I hope more Doctors will start to learn, I will personally talk to all of mine.

Yours for today

Hi there just seen this page and yes myself and my son suffer from this intense pain mine is not to bad now although from time to time it does knock me back a day, been self employed doesn’t help, I have had this for 2 years now, my son has been off work for 2 months with the same symptoms.
It is Tietze or Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the inner end of each rib with the breastbone (sternum). It’s a virus that attacks the cartilage between the rib cage and sternum
I found out that maybe down to a bit stress but mainly down to stretching too far or laying the wrong way aggravates it
I / we have not tried to give up what we liked doing (golf fishing motorcycle riding) but when you bad with this you know … I have read that possible pleurisy / pneumonia is to blame as well .
I have found that ice packs on the hurting part for 10 minutes helps but I have also started to use heat pads for at least 1 hour, pain killers etc just mask the pain, keep wrapped up if you go out in the cold as this just “cuts “straight through you
I hope you all get well soon (the scariest part of this is you know when you are going to start hurting just by lifting or turning the wrong way or the way you feel when you get up in the morning) the positive side of this is its not a heart problem which I was afraid of as I had doctors plugging me in and ready to say good bye to me
Hope we all get well soon take care

mick

Recently I dropped to the floor with chest pain centered at the upper abdomen/lowest sternum area. Because I'd seen and complained to my pers. Dr. three weeks earlier of unusual pressure in this area, I was scheduled for a Cardio Dr. angiogram in two days following the Cardio. finding possible irregular blood flow in a stress test.(gamma cam and ultrasound of heart were OK/good)When the attack/pain dropped me to the floor I felt certain of heart being involved.15-20 minutes of extreme pain led me to immediately sleep 8 hrs.(should have gone ER immediately). Awakened rested but hot/flushed in the face and upper body with less sternum/abdomen pain rated from 10 at attack to 6or7.Most scary now after 8 hours sleep was feeling disoriented bordering on dizzy and surreal.Long story short..I went to ER and blood showed no enzymes indicating heart attack 2) EKG was good. I remained somewhat disoriented with same 6/7 level pain. The next days angiogram,abdomen ultrasound,and upper GI endoscopy(?) ALL looked good/normal.Conclusion is suspected costochondritis with prescribing of 1-omeprazole40MG and 2-Naproxen500Mg per day.Feeling blessed at what was found to be OK but still having hard time believing this condition could have caused the extreme symptoms it did.Hope this may help or give comfort to anyone with a similar situation. All comments welcome :-)

I suffer from this pain as well. I have for many years. I would fee tension building up and then I would arch my back and my sternum would pop and crack and the pain would be released. Last 2 times it felt as though my sternum was "stuck" and would not pop and the pain was unbearable. I have also been diganosed with Costachondritis - had all cardio work up - all normal. A Chiro told me that this type of pain can often be caused by poor allignment of the ribcage to the spine which can be improved with adjustments, exercise and better posture. I got a orthotic pillow for my desk chair and it has helped. Hope this helps.

:(
Pretty sad here.... have read every post and many of them sound exactly the same as what I am experience. I was hit by a drunk driver in my late teens. Almost ripped off my left leg, severe compound fracture. They used every skill and an awesome surgeon to reattach it. Thank God my dad was a practicing Phy/Surgeon and knew the best. Now I am "long-of-tooth" and walked with a leg shorter for years. Arthritis, hips, knees, spine, etc. Easy picture to see.

Now I am suffering madly with pain in my L shoulder, up into that side of neck, but mostly pain in my sternum. I am/was a singer, performing fairly often and have since not be able to do so for about 2 + yrs. Not being able to sing from my diaphram, and if I pushed it, in immense pain following, often the next morning, to the point of nausea. Today as the past week, it has been very bad... nausea and even vomiting. A note here, I do not just hum, but blow, I sing Whitney, Barbra, LeAnne, Celion, all of them. I could not sing a bedtime tune right now... : ( Also, I have been a Hunter Jumper Horse trainer & coach for years (can ride better than I can walk, was raised on a horse), and I raced cars & also have the Rescue Horse Alliance. I'm busy! and... I'm pretty banged up. Regardless... this is not that type of pain from a direct injury, but may very well be a side-effect pain, IE: not having straight posture, crooked walking/gait, etc. ???
So...
This Costachondritis diagnosis is an interesting one. I have been through more tests than a NASA chimp going to the moon. They're normal. Besides the normal, oh you have arthritis, duh, & all the trigger points for fibromyalgia - which I do not believe in as they say it, ... the only diagnosis I know for sure is I have (AIP) Acute Intermittent Porphyria. Which... can have some similiar (awful) symptoms, but not like this. The pain in my diaphram & sternum is too real, too severe, and getting worse, it is very bad with certain movements, especially when lying down, and stretching can cause a severe reaction.

If anyone can tell me if they truly have been diagnosed with this Costachondritis, by a doctor that knows and understand this, could you please share with me (and all of us here) what exactly they have done about it for you ??? This is really getting old and in the way of my life. I hope everyone can get some help somehow. This is really not fun to live with, I think the not knowing is the worse. Blessings to all....

If it is not the heart, try out Capzasin-HP (Capsaicin 0.1%) ointment, feels better. Wash your hands with soap and water after application on the area externally, has pepper oil in it.

About 2 wks ago 8 woke from sleep with this intense pain behind my sternum and into my abdomen. I thought i had to use bathroom but the pain got worse, so bad that i was thrashing around. I now know what violently ill is! I finally made it back to bed and was sweating from every area of my body, finally i threw up and rocked in pain until i fell asleep. I woke in the morn completely fine. Ive woke with the sternum pain two more times, its alwYs at night and it hasnt been as painful as that first time, but i am baffled ....please respond

I have had this pain but could not explain the severity of ot tp people with out feeling like I sounded crazy. I HAV E gotten sicl from this and was terified my first round of this. Ihave GERD and take meds but somtimes it doesnt work well enough. I understand and am glad you wrpte about it.

Costochondritis. After a serious accident where my car was t-boned and my head broke my drivers door window, I spent six months in bed throwing up from the pain my doc Davis Pitt was unwilling to prescribe me enough painkillers to allow me to function. The last straw was when he refused to let the pain specialist manage my pain I changed doctors and was prescribed a pain patch and medication to deal with the breakthrough pain. (which was what kept me in bed so long). At that point I went back to the pain specialist for shots in my back around T4. I had many treatments. But finally one day that pain went away. Don't give up. Keep looking for that doctor who is capable of diagnosing your pain.

I suffered from this as well, I had an endoscopy and found out that I have sever GERD and Barretts Esophagus. No one knows how bad this pain can be unless they have experienced it. I had Nissen Fundoplication surgery to end the GERD and save my esophagus from developing cancer. Ask your doc if this could be GERD.

This excruciating, intense pain just beneath my sternum ramps up slowly, peaks for about 15 minutes and then all of a sudden goes away. It seems to repeat about 3 to 4 times with maybe 10 separation. ER tests 2 nights ago showed a slight irregularity in liver enzymes, no abdominal aortic aneurism (I had an aortic dissection in 2008 and only thoracic aorta replacement in 2010) and no alimentary problems; all were done with contracts. I had 2 episodes 2 years ago and had my gall bladder removed. I have had 2 episodes since then that are identical. Each seems to have followed my having much too much dijon mustard the firsts 2 times, ordinary mustard the 3rd and just a very spicy Lebanese dish at home (no mustard).