hi there people. so, I am 47 years old and I was diagnosed with macular degeneration. I am fine so far, I am reading that this can cause a lot of problems in the future, so I want to react and to prevent this to happen. So, I was reading a little bit about this, of course, and I have heard that those age-related macular degeneration treatments are effective. I am not familiar with this, but if you have any type of experience, please let me know. If they are effective, I want to know how long do the effects last? Tnx a lot!

xoxox

I would be extremely careful if I were you. I mean, I would go to one doctor to another in order to realize what the treatment is most effective, which one is most helpful in this case. Sure, there is as yet no outright cure for age-related macular degeneration, so if anyone tells you opposite, I would not believe in this story But, on the other hand,  some treatments may delay its progression or even improve vision. Those treatments usually depend on whether the disease is in its early-stage, is it in its dry form or in the more advanced, is it in its wet form, which actually can lead to serious vision loss. So many factors, and according to those factors treatments are chosen. What is your stage of this condition? 

I agree.

Also, any macular degeneration treatment has to be good, because it is planned according to your needs. So, don't suspect in it. Sure, sometimes some treatments don't work the same for everyone, but generally, they are effective.

Generally, this one has its own benefits. and I was reading a lot about this. My good friend had a great success when it comes to this, the pathologic processes underlying dry AMD that eventually leads to photoreceptor dysfunction, so I think that this tells a lot about this technique. So, listen to every word that your doctor tells you. You will have a success. 

Celebrity

First, thank you for all of those amazing advice, I think that you do understand me. maybe I waited for too long, I don't know, but two days ago, my doctor scheduled a surgery. I am a little bit scared, I can say, but I think that all this about my macular degeneration is getting worse. So, I was wondering, did any of you had any complications about this? And after how many days you felt OK about this whole procedure? I want to know to be prepared physically...

Good day. I am glad that you have decide to deal with it. I am not saying that this is 100 percent the best way, but I am sure that it is one of the best ways, anyway, you have to deal with it somehow and I am sure that your doctor knows what is the best for you.

So, when it comes to recovery process, it is hard to tell since every person reacts differently. According to some researches, 50 percent of patients who were received those injections had 20/40 vision or better in the treated eye, so it is pretty much. I think that about 20 percent of the people were worse while others felt nothing. But don't let this scare you.

Celebrity

I was just talking to my friend who had this procedure or whatever called  Avastin.  Generally, this is a drug that is FDA approved for intravenous use in patients. This is a drug that, when injected into the eye, is also effective for treatment of wet AMD. I didn't understand which one is your problem, but I know that this is very effective and that this type of treatment is called “off-label, When it comes to price, it costs approximately $50, $1,800, and $2,000 respectively, per injection. Depends. Also, my friend told me that after he did it, he felt way better than before. Who can tell? 

So, after almost three years of struggling with this problem, I have decide to do something about this whole situation. I went to my doctor and generally, I told him that I am accepting to anything that can cure my current problem. He also recommended an injection for me, and after a couple of days, I saw that it is not that good option. It didn't helped me at all, but I believe that it is my fault as well. Now, the thing that I want to tell you is that you need to seek for several opinions before doing something, before you do the procedure. It seems that this procedure was able to help me, but before, not when my doctor did it...

Yes, I agree. Seeking for another opinion is always a good idea. That doesn't mean that you don't trust your doctor, but sometimes, it can happen that you rush your doctor and he wants to best for you, but sometimes those that he wants is not that good for you.

And also, it is not just you are going to inject it once and your problems are over. It depends on the treatment, sometimes you have to do this ever 8th week, sometimes every 4th week. It depends. I know a lot of people who give up after a couple of injections. That is also a bad move.