Hello!

After having two children (quite a long time ago) and generally having gained some weight from I don't exactly know what since I eat healthy and am not an excessive eater, my belly is flabby and more padded than I would like it to be. 

I am seriously considering abdominoplasty right now. I would love to have a smaller and firmer belly again! My question is how long the effects of abdominoplasty last, though, because I don't want to go through a surgery if my abdomen will be back to its old state within a year or two. 

Any comments?

The effects of abdominoplasty last a long, long time! Just ask around for anyone who's had two tummy tucks. I've never heard of that, and that is because unless you do put on a very big amount of weight after the surgery the effects are meant to last a lifetime. This does not mean your tummy will always look the same, you will still age and change, but the effects do not "wear off" only for you to "revert to your previous abdomen". You will always be firmer and flatter than you would have been without the abdominoplasty. 

Go for it I say!

Since muscles that have become loose over time, often as the result of pregnancy, are tightened during tummy tuck surgery, the effects of this operation really do last a long time. You are altering the way your muscles function at a foundational level. The secret to having a long lasting result is to maintain the same weight after your surgery so that the muscles do not become stretched again. Your surgeon will explain this to you when you go for a consult. You sound like pretty much the ideal person for a tummy tuck though.

Public service announcement: A tummy tuck won't magically fix all your problems. If you do not change your lifestyle, the effects of tummy tuck surgery won't be permanent at all. 

You can see a tummy tuck as a way to bridge the gap between what your body can achieve with exercise and diet and your ideal body. It gives you a jump start if you like, to lay the foundation for a healthy lifestyle. That is not to say that an unhealthy lifestyle is what causes the need for tummy tucks. It isn't. It's mostly for moms and people who've lost a lot of weight. So it's about getting back into a permanently healthy lifestyle. 

You still need to do the work to keep it that way though!

Celebrity
This! The effects of a tummy tuck can last an awful long time, but only if the recipient is committed to maintaining them with exercise and a healthy diet. Women who have a tummy tuck after pregnancy will mostly still have the menopause waiting for them. The menopause is a time when many women start gaining abdominal weight even without changing their diets and exercise regimes. After entering the menopause, most women will simply have to work a lot harder to maintain the same weight! As long as you keep that in mind, you have a good chance of benefiting from a tummy tuck for a very long time.

Rosie

You might well get fat and saggy again after a tummy tuck! If you start eating like it's going out of fashion, then you will just begin putting on weight again! What did you think it was, an internal corset or something? Or a gastric bypass? It isn't any of those things.

So if you get a tummy tuck, you will have to adapt your diet as well, if you want the effects to last. And you have to work out. Not immediately after the operation of course, but you do have to stay in shape.