I was told by my colleague I could be having macular degeneration for I started recently having problem with reading, writing and even driving car and the worse thing is that I frequently have some blank gray spots in front f my eyes like dancing and it started affecting my vision and I know that vision is getting worse by age-I am 55 and I believe I am still young for such serious vision difficulties though I started avoiding driving car for this symptoms for it frequently happens I have some weird lines changing the form of street signs and even the road- first I thought it is my mild headache related but I am afraid the things are getting worse by day and I am curious now to hear could it be macular degeneration? And if it is about macular degeneration I would appreciate to hear how it is diagnosed and how is macular degeneration treated? Thanks much!

I am positive it could be macular degeneration or more precisely those symptoms-especially those visual distortions you experience while driving car-are actually the sign of wet macular degeneration. I suggest you go see an ophthalmologist right away for if it is macular degeneration about than the most important thing is to react on time for if it is recognized at about its beginning than the chances of vision reversal are much bigger though I need to stress macular degeneration doesn't effect whole vision meaning your peripheral vision stays untouched though the central vision could be seriously damaged. Anyway my mom has been diagnosed with wet macular degeneration few years ago and on her ophthalmology exam it was determined that abnormal blood vessels haven’t actually affected much of her macula so she turned out to be a good candidate for photocoagulation-which usually is not the case-so she ended up having this intervention that requires laser beam using for burning those small areas with abnormal blood vessels and that is how the macula could also be prevented from further disease development.