What are your thoughts?

The suck for sure. They also take forever to heal. Several weeks to feel halfway normal, several months to get back to where you want to be and can linger for over a year.

First, take some time off. See Groin Injury

If you need more exercises let me know.

I've now gone 1 full week without running. I have been icing as often as possible and wrapping if I know I'm going to do any substantial amount of walking. The pain has reduced but still, if I lift someting heavy without thinking it aggrevates the pull and my leg hurts for a couple of hours. I will keep icing/wrapping/resting until it feels 100%.

I have pretty much decided to change my fall marathon plans to a half. My body is not responding well to how quickly I'm trying to ramp up mileage and pace. This is not the first injury I've had this year.

Keeping things in perspective, I want to enjoy running for years to come and have lots of time to run a marathon. :|

I had a nasty groin muscle pull over a year ago and it still flares up on occasion although nowhere near as badly. Take it easy Steve, I kept trying to run on mine and it ended up turning into muscle pulls in my lower abs also. It was not pleasant.

That's probably good advice but not terribly encouraging news. And I have noticed compensating with my abs, especially when lifting things.
I think the fall marathon plans are officially on hold.

Do as much gentle stretching as you can. Lots of heat is good for chronic groin strains. Electric muscle stimulation helps, so does therapeutic ultrasound treatment. Massage therapy is a must! I'd be getting cold-processed whey protein in the diet and definitely do not overstride. BCAA will help as well. Drink a lot of water; don't get thirsty ever (that means you're already dehydrated). Do active, not passive stretching. Make sure you have good spinal mobility and that other thigh muscles are flexible. Use a groin wrap or spica. Neoprene works well. One-legged exercises requiring balance and coordination are often underutilized in the reahb of groin pulls. They do often cause problems for a long time, but they are not insurmountable. Warm-up well before stretching, cool down well also.

Good luck!

...the official kiss of death to marathon training?
No. I'll take that over an achilles strain any day, anywhere.