About how many miles per week do you average when training for a marathon? And, how many weeks do you train (specifically) for a marathon?

If you don't do marathons, that's OK, answer the questions anyway! :P

I am currently running ~25mpw. My goal is to get to 50 mpw while training for Madison 2k3. Hopefully, I will stay healthy through the winter.

I've backed off on cycling for the winter so I've upped my running miles. I was previously running between 35-40 MPW but now I'm shooting for between 50-55 MPW.

Sorry, haven't run a marathon yet.

When I was training for my marathon last year, I averaged 30-35 mpw. Focus was on my mid week LR (half of the Saturday LR) and weekly LR of 16+miles. Highest mileage week was 45.

At the peak of my distance training for Chicago, I was running roughly 50-60 miles a week.

I can't tell you how many weeks I spent training for Chicago. If you go by when I started looking forward to doing Chicago, then I started back in June when I registered. If you go by the amount of time I was doing higher then normal mileage and speed, then I started training in August.

When you start training depends on your base. If you don't have a good base, you will need to start earlier. If you already do 15-20 mile runs for your long runs and 40 mpw, you won't need to start as early on the training because you already have a great base. However, if you are running 20mpw and your long runs consist of 5 or 10 miles, it would really pay off to start early.

Ideally, before going in to marathon training I like to have a base of about 35 miles per week.

I've followed 18 week plans and I like to peak between 55-60mpw, with the average week being 48-50 miles for the 13-14 weeks or so that are the meat of the schedule. I believe whole-heartedly cut back weeks and agressive tapers.

My longest training run to date has been 22 mile. I prefer to get to 19-20 miles as often as I can during training to putting in 23-24 mile training runs. I may try to go 22-23 a couple of times. I also intend to run my long runs at a slightly faster pace and run more pace run miles during my next cycle.

---
megawill

i did 30-45 a week
depending on what the long run was
i was running at least 1 ten mile run a week
and 4 other days of at least 5
as i built up
i felt i did not overtrain...seemed about right due to time constraints

I usually follow an 18 week program.

I try to be at 20-25 mpw when I start the program.

Start at about 35 a week, peak at about 55.
Usually do a 15 week program.
Longest run is a 22 miler

Not training for a marathon, but thinking about a kinda intense 10K training program starting in January.

I would dearly love to reach a base of 40mpw. My latest attempt got me to 36mpw before I got injured. I hope the next try will get me all the way there.