Hope this is the right place for this question.

My son is starting Tae Kwon Do lessons and I am thinking about taking them as well. Will the lessons hinder my marathon training? Anyone with experience doing both?

Me 8)

You will probably want to consider most classes like a temp or interval workout. How long is each class? How many times a week do you plan on going?

I ran in the morning and took class at night. I usually scheduled short to medium runs. Being during the week this worked out anyway. You may want to cut out a short run the first few weeks to let your body adapt to the new exercise and volume of exercise you will be doing.

Unfortunely, I must also give a word of caution. Since TKD is very popular (actually the most participated martial art in the world), it attracts a lot of frauds. Ask lots of questions to the instructors and students/parents. I can come up with a list if you need help getting started.

Thanks for the info Bob. We will be taking an intro class until we learn the basic punches, kicks and blocks and then we will move up to the white belt classses. I think we will be taking lessons 2 or 3 times a week, depending on how my son does with the 7:20 to 8:00 pm classes. The white belt classes are 50 minutes, but the intro classes are only 30 minutes.

For the past several years, my only form of exercise has been running. So, I have tight hamstrings and wimpy quads and I am a little concerned that the kicks might pull something that should not be pulled.
The school (or whatever the correct term is) has been around a while and everyone there seemed nice and friendly. I don't think it is a fly by night kind of place. Plus it is close to the house and that make a difference for now.

You should be able to keep your runs. Most schools (Dojang in korean) will want you to know the kicks; but, tailor them to the individual. I would start stretching after your runs. This will make classes a lot easier. Primarily hamstring and groin. I've pulled my groin twice, not fun and a very long recovery period.

Take your time in class. They should have a warm up; but, it is always good to warm before class if you have time even if it is a minute or two.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks. I will try to warm-up well and maybe get more stretching in after my run. I know that I really need to stretch my hamstrings and this may give me the incentive to actually do it.