Some of you know I've been toying with doing a half or full sometime in the near future. I had been thinking more along the lines of a half. But now, I'm leaning towards a full. There is one in my hometown in April and our track club has weekly training runs and support and I think it would be a great time to take the plunge.

So if I do decide to do it.....what is the best plan for up until then. Just stay the course of my 18-20 mpw? Should I bump it up as I get closer to the marathon? I don't want to bump it up too much, but also want to make sure I'm ready for the training program.

Suggestions???? Thanks.

Luckily I still have time to decide, but it's the first time I really feel like I could commit and do it........although I'm still scared so I'm not saying anything for sure at this point (yes, I'm a chicken). 8)

Well I haven't taken the plunge for a full yet either but I too am thinking about it. Personally I would want to be doing about 25mpw consistantly prior to beginning a program to train for a marathon. I have been doing that since Jan. this year. I'm chicken though too. And I forgot where you live but being able to to most of your training outside will help. Especially long runs. I remember Noley saying how hard her marathon was as she did most of her training on the mill. Have you ever dona a half?

18-20 mpw is a good base. The program I went through when I ran my 'thon five years ago, gradually ramped up the mileage, to a peak week of ~45, which was three weeks from the marathon.

I used the Hal Higdon book as a guideline, and modified to fit my schedule.

I'd start bumping up the mileage as soon as you feel comfortable with it. I'd want extra time in case there's an unforseen setback. Not to mention the more miles you put in, the better your performance will be.

That's one of my big things, having the training group runs as a support and to get me outside off the treadmill. That's basically where I run, but will change that to train for a full. My goal will be to at least run outside on the Saturday group runs and figure a way without the kids one other day during the week. And the group runs are all mapped out with water and stuff, so I'm thinking that would be really nice. Rather than me off by myself for the later long long ones that scare me so much. So those are things that are helping me get over my hump of committing. I really do think that I can do it with how I'm feeling these days.
I haven't done a half. I'd wanted to, but just didn't find the right one this fall close enough and on the right date. Then I just figured I'd do the local one in April. And I'm just thinking if I can just go ahead and go for the full.

Train for and do the half. It'll be a good barometer for you - help you decide if you're ready to put yourself thru the punishment of marathon training. See your pm for some half info.

Do at least one 10 mile run a week for a while, with some lighter distances throughout the week. One long run a week should be enough for now.