I've been getting frustrated because I feel like I wait so long in between runs that I can't make good progress.

I've been running on semi-regular basis for the last 3 years or so. Just as an example, here's my last couple of weeks:

Monday - ran 4.5 miles at an 8:30/mi pace
calves were sore the rest of the week
Friday - calves still just slightly sore, but ran 2 miles at 7:30 pace
Wednesday - calves still slightly sore, but ran 2 miles at 7:00 pace
Saturday (today) My calves are still kinda sore, and probably will be until at least Monday.

This is not the soreness that one gets when they first start up running or change their program. I have been maintaining running for years and still have this soreness. I also bike about 50 miles a week and do pushups and situps a few days a week. Biking doesn't really use my calves, so I don't think that's part of the issue.

Like I said, I'm frustrated because I don't think I'm running often enough. For instance I think today would be a good day to run, but my calves are sore. By the time I'm ready to run again, I feel like I'm already getting out of shape.

I have the same issue with other muscles, but not quite as bad. When I used to lift weights, I'd have to wait at least 3 days to use the same muscle group. Even with abs, which most people say they can do every day, I have to wait a few days to recover.

If anyone has any advice or opinions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Brian

PS - I wanted to add that I fortunately have only had muscle soreness - no pain in the knees, shin splints, etc. Just to clarify. Thanks.

do you stretch after you exercise?

You might want to try icing and rubbing them. My calves are always sore, and this seems to help them out.

Stress + Rest = Adaptation.

As long as it is only muscle tightness and not injury keep going.
You might like to try the little but often approach.
Shorten your distances but run every day (twice if you want to) As your calves adapt you can slowly but progressivly increase your distance.

As has already been said, streching after you run is important

phar is dead on.

i was trying to increase my base and hit a speedwork day once a week and taking some nagging injuries (not big ones, just litl ones), after reading a few posts reference stretching and cool down periods i added a quarter mile walk and then some simple quick stretching and it has made all the difference in the world (esp stretching the calves).

hope this helps,
Kel

Ice bath for 15 minutes (if you can stand it!).

(That's soaking in icy cold water, not soaking in ice... Just for clarity.)

don't forget the shoes. gotta replace them every so many miles (for me it's 300 max) and until i defined exactly what kind of shoe my foot needed, i had lots of discomfort in my legs. pay attention to your arch and see a knowledgeable shoe person.

what do you eat or drink post-recovery??? maybe more calcium in your diet. Alot of people swear by endurox. Glutamine supposed helps repair muscles (weighlifters use it alot).

Thanks for the tips.

I hadn't really been stretching after I ran. I think it might be helping.

I don't like the idea of taking extra time for cooldown. I usually run in the morning, and do a lot of walking and climbing up and down stairs during the day. Is that sufficient for getting the blood flowing?

Also, is it OK to run when my legs are a little sore still. or is that over-training?

I don't have a specific diet I follow. I eat a lot because I have a high metabolism. I try to eat a good balance of foods, but don't take any supplements or special foods besides a multivitamin.

Thanks,

d3

If you're just a little sore, run! I'd never get anything done if I rested every day I was sore.