I am currently about 11 weeks pregnant. i have had a terrible dry cough for almost one month now that seems to be getting worse. One doctor told me its not that serious and jus to do the natural way for example, sleep with a humidifier, take lozenges, drink lemon tea..none of that has worked. I went to another doctor today and he told me i have a chest infection. he prescribed to me 2 medicines. one cough syrup called Koffex DM to take every 6 hours and pills for the chest infection called Novamoxin (500mg) underneath that name it says Amoxicillin. I researched the 2 medications and both say the same thing more or less. That no adequate and well-controlled studies have been done on pregnant woman. So i assume they dont really know if there can be any serious side affects to the fetus??

If anyone has any information about these medications OR advise on what else i can take please let me know.

I am no expert at all. But a few words of my own:

If you told your doctor that your pregnant than I'm absolutely positive that he would prescribe you the safest medicine for you and your baby. If that means that the safest one is the one that hasn't been tested on pregnant woman... than that's your only choice as far as prescribed medicing goes. But something that I've learned myself over the years is that doctors usually prescribe medicines w/o considering an alternate route. Your body is very good at fighting off infections but sometimes it can take a month or so to feel fully better. If you were NOT preggers I would say go with a more natural route... but cuz you ARE preggers, you want to get rid of the infection asap to avoid it spreading to the baby.

Good luck!

THe medication that you're taking is an antibiotic that has been prescribed millions of times and I know that it is not bad for you, so you should be fine there. As for the cough syrup, it is likely something with menthol and has codeine in it, nothing of which is harmful for the baby. You did explain to your doctor that you are pregnant, right?

OK, im so nervous about taking things.Yes i told my doctor i was pregnant for sure.
but i had my ob-gyn appt 2 days ago and he said it was fine..he was mad that i stopped takin it cuz the infection could just come back...so im finishing it all this time and he said the meds are ok. Im jus paranoid but everything is ok with the baby so far..im 12 weeks now.
Thanks for all the advise.

I totally understand being paranoid--after all, you just want what's best for the baby. At the same time, you need to take care to take care of yourself at the same time and be smart with your medication. Did you finish your meds?