Hello! I am pregnant and I need advice. Namely, doctor prescribed me Demerol because of my headaches. I know that that taking drugs in pregnancy is not recommended, so, I am concerned should I take this medicine or not. My friend told me that this drug could be fatal for my baby. Is that true?

Hello! I can tell you that Demerol is strong medication and that it is not recommended in pregnancy. I think that if you do not have very strong headaches you should not take it. Generally speaking, pregnant women should not take Demerol prior to labor. This drug crosses the placenta and that can be dangerous for baby. I hope this helps you.

Hello Isaac,

First of all congratulations on your pregnancy.

Second of all it is important to be very careful with the medications during your pregnancy. Tell me, did you inform your doctor that you are pregnant? Because if you did I am wondering how come he had prescribed you Demerol.

Maybe you should seek another opinion about this, I mean medical opinion.

Also you can try to deal with the headaches on a different way. Massages are wonderful for this problem. I used to be very nervous and I was under lot of stress and I was taking medications to get rid of my headaches but now if you feel that I am going to get one I go for a massage. Also, it is important to find cause of your headaches because you will be dealing with it easier.