Hi, I was hospitalized on Saturday with pnuemeonia and was sent home Monday with antibiotics. My problem is that I haven't stopped wheezing since being diagnosed. Sometimes the wheezing sounds better then other times but it just doesn't want to clear up. Anyone know if this is normal? I'm really worried about it, I just want it to stop. (I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have been prescribed the antibiotic Azithromycin and no sort of breathing treatment)

Hello! My sister has the same problem you do. She has the wheezing symptom, cough and even breathing problems sometimes. She is 26 weeks pregnant. We first thought it could be asthma because she has a history of allergies but it turned out to be pneumonia. This didn’t come as a relief. She was prescribed with the same drug zithromax.

She was advised to rest, drink a lot of fluids, and take the antibiotics.
I tried to do some reading about pneumonia in pregnancy and I realized that bacterial is somehow better than viral. I understood that there is no difference between pregnant and non-pregnant women regarding severity of the disease.
However, it is said that monitoring is essential because pneumonia may cause preterm labor.
Luckily, no negative effects have been seen on babies when mothers suffered from pneumonia. However, if a pregnant woman develops fever, or experiences fast breathing rate or has troubles with oxygen…that could be somehow harmful.
Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you. How far into treatment are you? Are you feeling any better?

i went to the e.r. last night and was diagnosed with pneumonia .... they took x-rays, gave me an i.v. and drew some blood... they also had me on oxygen they decided to keep me over night to observe me... i(i am 22 weeks pregnant) ... i got released from the hospital late this evening ... they sent me home with an oxygen tank... and some antibiotics. i still am weezing a lot too. but just keep coughing it up they say. good luck !!!

My anme is Ezabella and I never used to believe chiropractic could help with alergies and lots of other stuff. But believe me it does, it will change your life completely and help with your allergies tremendously, so go out and do some research or just take my advice and make the earliest appointment possible to see one. I had the same problems when I was pregnant and I didn't want to subdue my baby to any medicines so I found 100% releive by a chiropractor.

There are plenty of effects pnuemonia can have on a pregnant woman. The pnuemonia can cross over the placenta and infect your baby. Hosiptals or doctors says it will lead to preterm labor because that would be the most likely thing to happen if you receive good medical care from a competent Dr. I know from experience. I was diagnosed with a UTI in my 25th week of pregnancy after going to the emergency room becuase of pains that came on all of a sudden. Each prenatal visit they keep prescribing the same darn medication for E.coli which I didnt have. I dont know that there is different medicine for E.coli and Pnuemonia, but the Dr. should know. I gave birth at 37 weeks and 2 days and my daughter was stillborn but was living just the day before. She was 5lbs 9 oz. She died becuase she had pnuemonia, the same pnumonia which caused the UTI in myslef because it effects different people in different ways. The difference is my daughther lived witht he pnumonia for over 12 weeks, somthing a baby certainly cant handle, they dont even have much of an immune system yet. Please ladies make sure your Dr. presribes the proper medication andd can tell specifically which bacteria caused your infection whether a UTI or pnuemonia infection. Even if you have to do the reserach yourslef because it is utterly ridiculous for a pregnant woman going to every prematal visit to not get the correct treatment. And make sure you dont have a Dr who assistants run the office while he is at the hospital trying to get more money from deliveries and they dont even have any degree but midwifery, which is not medical. This same pnuemonia couldve killed me also. Not only would my husband be dealing wih the loss of his baby, but the loss of his wife.

This is a reply to Jacci.
Dear Sister, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your baby. That is a traumatic experience. I hope you and your husband are finding peace with what has happened. Reading your post inspired me to reply for two reasons. 1 the Dr/Midwife was probably treating your UTI (bladder infection) correctly. Usually a urine lab test tells exactly which bacteria is causing the UTI and they were treating the E. Coli; a common cause of UTI's.

From the limited info in your post it seems like you didn't complain of a lung infection. I'm wondering if you had any symptoms of pneumonia which is a lung infection. Pneumonia would not cause abdominal pain. Did the Midwife listen to your lungs or tell you to see your primary care doctor? It's true that sometimes the doctor has to go to a delivery usually an emergency c-section and cannot be in the clinic. Midwives also have to rush to deliveries and leave the clinic. This leads to the 2nd reason I wanted to reply. Midwives are highly educated and are not the doctor's assistants. A midwife is a completely different profession from an OBGYN, even though many duties overlap. True a midwife does not have a medical degree. The midwife is an advanced practice nurse with medical knowledge and experience.

Again, I am sorry for your tragic loss. I hope your case was looked at closely and if mistakes were made they were caught in order to prevent another tragedy. I agree 100% with you that all patients need to research their medications and understand their own health, bodies, and treatment. Thanks for sharing your story.

i thought xrays during pregnancy were not really aloud and i know you cant be on steriods when pregnant. Im 22 weeks amd i have a midwife and i love her she very caring but my only concern is that she could be over looking my symptoms. I have had low grade fevers for 3 days between 99.9 and 100.4 (never higher than 100.4) but she tells me that is not a true fever unless its higher than 100.4 because my bodies working hard to make a baby so thats why im "warm" im on Azithromycin so i guess i should just let it take its course and see if i get better but i know im not totally comfortable with this diagnosis of brochitis how do i know its not something more serious like pneumonia its not like they even took blood. and i feel feverish how is this not a "true" fever. Im def whezzing in at night Im gaging on this phlem thats coming up.

I have a question im 24 weeks and i have been coughing and gauging badly and wheezing badly even after my inhaler i went to the er and they said it was strep throat but my throat don't hurt my chest hurts and when i cough i get very bad pain shooting from my chest to my shoulders and down both arms and in the back of my shoulder blades my 5 yr old daughter was diagnosed with pneumonia in her right lung . i was wondering if i should get a second opinion or if there is anything i can do .. thanks

YOU need to get an inhalor right away not breathing properly can cause brain damage in the baby. also amoxicillin is a great and safe one to take.
also get yopur lung checked for fluid they might have to drain them.. othwise congrates and good luck

also i for got to tell you get a big water pot, boil salt lemon and mint leaves togther put the hot pot on a coster and throw a towel over you and the pot. breath the steam, you will get better verey fast :-)

omg i am so so sorry, no one should go through that. i too recently cought the seasonal virus, feeling pretty bad and have mucus in my lungs, but with steam therapy i am feeling better i am controlling my asthma but it very well could turn to pumonia because of my asthma.i will be on top of it i had no idea babies could catch pumonia. :-(

My wife has been diagn with Pneumonia. she is asthamatic and 29 week pregnent. she had bad cough for over 2 months she was expriencing dry throat and weezing doctors kept on asking her to take inhalers then due to her chest pain she called ofr ambulance. thats when they diagnosed her with Pneumonia. hospital wanted her to be taken to home but i refused as she could not lie down to sleep Hospital kept transfering her from one ward to another but could not control pain or explain why this pain was there as it was very sharp pain that will move from in her chest area. she was tested for blood clot and swin flu. for four days she was not able to lie in the bed due to the pain to sleep. I had to show my dissetifaction to the doctors and then things started moving forward. then another doctor came along and told me that although she was given relevant antibiotics her condition has not improved from her previous xray and when i asked him why is she getting this pain he explained that it is for the irritation on the outer layer of the lungs and the inner layer of the lung cavity. now she is Critical care unit and they are serprised as to how they could think of sending her home when she is asthamtic and pregnent. an emergency team is on call for the c section but now hopefully they will not call for it as her oxygen level in blood is improving. i am worried as to her heart rate is constantly over 119. any other advise.

My wife is 34 weeks and was diagnosed with pneumonia about a week ago. I can only suggest tylenol with codeine for the pain as her doctor said that its a safe pain med. To help her sleep, I give her a hot shower, have her clear her nose and put on a breath right strip to allow her to breath through her nose. Then I turn on a humidifier and put a pillow between her legs and rub her back until she is relaxed enough to pass out. I hope this helps a little.

you are a good husband and your support is very important at this stage. I hope she getts well soon and brings happiness to you. My wife is still on Co-Codamol 30mg/500mg for pain relief it is similar as tylenol. she will feel very sleepy when it getts to work. keep an eye on her heart rate , if having breathing difficulty then keep and eye on oxygen level as well. i hope everything work out well for you and your wife.

I was diagnosed with influenza, anemia and pneumonia during my first trimester of pregnancy. I also had severe morning sickness and was treated with Zofran and IV fluids several times during my first trimester. I had a chest x-ray and a chest CT because initially my doctor thought I had a pulmonary embolism due to my difficulty breathing. I was given breathing treatments, IV antibiotics and two blood transfusions. I was in the hospital for a week and then came home on antibiotics. My baby was absolutely fine, weighting 7 pounds, 2 ounces. It is scary when you are sick when you are pregnant but I hope my story will give you hope that everything can work out just fine.