For several years, I experienced blurred vision, vertigo spells, and pain in the lower part of my neck and shoulder. I had been consuming diet sodas with aspartame for many years, often 4-5 per day. After several doctor visits, with nothing wrong diagnosed, I read some articles on the internet about the symptoms from aspartame poisoning. I stopped all diet drinks, and all my symptoms disappeared in les then 3 weeks. I consider Aspartame a dangerous food additive, and it’s not worth the risk-avoid aspartame

Aspartame or Nutrasweet or E 951 is probably the most used artificial sweetener. This is unfortunate as it has caused severe adverse effects and often those only show up after prolonged use when it is often too late as it can cause permanent damage to ones health. From what I found out Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are completely unnecessary. There is an excellent natural alternative-a tropical plant called "stevia". The dried leaves from this plant have an extremely sweet taste and can be used as a natural sweetener, plus it has practically no calories and is safe for diabetics.

I totally understand where you are coming from. My wife and I were heavy diet soda drinkers also, until I found out the damaging effects artificial sweeteners have. Luckily,we found an alternative - Zevia! It's a brand new product that just came out here in the northwest. You can check it out at www.zevia.com. We were skeptical at first, but after speaking with the people there and trying out the product, there's no turning back. We were so excited that someone finally came out with a great tasting product like Zevia. You should at least try it out, its definitely worth it.

Hi all,
I am having trouble understanding the war on artificial sweeters. I have been consuming a steady diet consisting of 2 cans of diet pop/day, and several pieces of sugar free gum since I was 13 plus any other sugar free products I find. I was first exposed to it in the early 80's when it was added to Kool-Aid when I was about 7. It is now 20 years later I am 28 years old and I am completely healthy. According to all the articles on the internet I should be dead by now. Or does it take more than 20 years of daily use to cause any of these horrible side effects? Doesn't make sense. I trust the canadian government would not choose to poison its own citizens for profit, but then again I never have been a paranoid person, maybe thats a side effect of the aspartame I have consumed.

Hi -

I have been drinking diet soft drinks for years with no bad side effects... until recently. After drinking diet cola (usually diet Coke), I notice my vision gets blurry and I feel mentally slow. What causes this?

1. Did the formula change?
2. Is it the cumulative effects of years of diet soda drinking?
3. Does susceptibility to symptoms increase with age? (I am 47)

Whatever it is, I'm going to swear off soft drinks for a while. Too bad, 'cuz I really like the diet drinks.

*P.S. Funny thing, but the CAPTCHA (spam blocker) on this page is asking me to count the circles and enter a numeric answer, but my vision is a little too blurry at the moment!

sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Read it and take note people!!!

The only artificial sweetner that causes me blurred vision is Splenda. Look out for products made with Splenda. I contacted them about this and was told they had not had reports of blurred vision with this. It is after several packets in a day for me.

I am 54 and have consumed diet products all the way back to Tabb in the 1960's. Recently after years of stomach problems my GI doctor, a very good doctor, through his hands up and said I am sorry. He admitted he just couldn't find a cause for my stomach pain and nausea. I have also been diagnosed with gastroparesis and have had IBS for at least 25 years. I started looking around on the internet after he told me that because I was so defeated. I quit the diet drinks first. Then realized my daily yogurt had aspartame in it. I cut that out. I am a type I diabetic so I consume everything sugar free and am slowly cutting those things out and trying to find other things to eat and drink. My problems didn't immediately go away, but are much better, it has been about a month. I think I am addicted to diet drinks and have been allowing myself one a day, which nausea following immediately. With me, I think it took 30 years of build up including in the last 20 years of using so much of it because I thought it was best with my diabetes and believing it is safe. I don't think it is safe any more. I saw my granddaughter drink a diet cola yesterday and wanted to grab it and pour it down the sink. It is so hard - what is the alternative - sugar? Good Luck.