Hi.I’ve been using aspartame, the artifical sweetner used in some sodas, for several months now. During that period I’ve been experiencing burning tongue which was very annoying. Just recently I’ve heard that aspartame has some negative health side effects. Is it possible that aspartame was cause for my problem?? Thanks in advance.

Generally, aspartame is a product that is regarded as safe. But, it is true that lately its’ many side effects have been found. Most of them are not proven jet and are still being investigated. Anyway, I don’t remember seeing burning tongue on that list so I think it is unlikely that aspartame was the cause. Still, I think that you’re the only one who can find that out – simply stop using it for a while (week or so). If your burning tongue sensation stops it will mean that you found the cause – aspartame. If not, the cause is definitely something else. Hope this helps.

If it helps you any, I have a similar thing that I KNOW is aspartame related and burning sensation. Whenever I have eat foods or drink liquids with aspartame in it, it BURNS the back of my throat while it's in contact with it. When I drink sodas with it, it feels like it's eating away at the skin. It's only during the short time the food is in contact with the area however. I.e. just during swallowing.

Every food that does it contains aspartame/phenalaline. Every food I try with aspartame/phenyalaline does it. It's no doubt in my mind related.

I've been drinking a LOT of soft drinks containing aspartame in order to avoid sugar, and now I have the same problem--feels like the tongue is covered with cold sores.  Never had anything like this before, and this is the first time I've been drinking so much diet soda.  We may just have discovered a new side effect of aspartame.

I have a similar situation going on.  My tongue burns. I have a this in conjunction with geographic tongue (where you lose part of your taste buds).

does the same thing to me also.....after i stop drinking diet soda for two weeks or so it got better

I am having this problem now.......weird tongue sensation, sore....intensity comes and goes...

also having problems with pelvic/vaginal canal...same thing.  All gyno, urine tests are normal....could it be my addition to diet pop and nutrasweet?

i have this going on too right now.....dr. can find nothing 3 visits later no results......
i know it is aspertame......intensity comes and goes. pelvic/vaginal/labia areas.....any success making changes?

I have been experiencing a sore scalloped tongue for 3 months now along with itching of the pubic area and scalp. Dr has done many swabs and blood tests (and repititions) which all came back clear. I use artificial sweetener daily. Maybe this is the cause? I will stop using from today. Fingers crossed!

In additon to the above message, its comforting to know others have the same symptoms. I think the only way forward is to cut artificial sweetener out of the diet completely to see any difference.

I ate a small cup of jello/parfait under the Winky Lakes label and my tongue began to burn immediately after; tongue looked blistered and discolored to the point where I had to seek medical attention.  Subsequently contacted the vendor (Walmart) who referred my problem to Winky Lakes.  Winky Lakes contacted me stating that an excessive amount of aspetame in the product could cause the problem.  Incident occurred during the first week of June, 2014 an as of this date, I see very little improvement in the condition of my tongue to the  point where I am going to have to seek further medical attention.  Walmart said it's not their problem.  Winky Lakes sent me a check for $25.00 plus coupons for their product.  Never cashed the check or used the coupons.  My first prescription cost more than that. 

l have noticed this too, but I am leaning toward the carbonation gases. especially in the new soda dispensers in self-fill restraunts. I drink and have drunk lots of diet for years. it has been the last couple of years be noticed it. the bottled diet doesn't seem to affect my tongue. coke zero uses Splenda and it has the same burning effect from the fountain. I have started asking for a refund to bring attention to what's happening.

Apparently I've also have become allergic To aspartame. My tongue feels as if it has a Chemical burn, swollen and very red. I stop Chewing sugar free gum to test my theory. Tongue got much better then ate sugar free Gum. My tongue is worse than ever. Aspartame should be out lawed. Nasty stuff

Eye decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision Ear
tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound severe intolerance of noise marked hearing impairment.whole body damage.

I have experienced extreme pain from chewing gum with aspartame. My tongue feels like it is burning or has blisters on it so bad that I can't eat"""
I have switched to a gum with good old fashion sugar in it and the symptoms are gone.