Hi. I drink a lot of diet drinks that include aspartame. Generally I had no trouble with it but recently I’ve started feeling severe stomach ache. Is it possible that aspartame is a cause for it?? Can someone tell me more about it? Thanks for all replies.

Aspartame is a product that is generally regarded as safe but recently it has been discovered that it have many side effects. Those side effects include abdominal pain and stomach ache. The only way you can find out weather the cause is really aspartame is to stop using it for a while – if the stomach ache disappears, than it is likely to be so. If not, than cause is something else and you in that case you should see your doc to examine you. Good luck.

I have gotten very ill twice from artificial sweeteners. Symptoms were hot stomach, constipation and general toxic feeling. Once I cut out the artifical sweeteners the trouble goes away. The first time I got sick I had been drinking diet soda. I could not eat anything for two weeks due to terrible stomach aches. I went to a doctor and had a battery of tests--all negative. I stopped the soda and got better. Recently I had been frequently eating a nonfat yogurt without realizing it had aspartame in it. Same symptoms from the episode years ago. Stopped the aspartame yogurt and symptoms went away. Good luck.

I have identified artificial sweeteners as the cause of severe abdominal pain occuring when I go to sleep. I stopped eating the sweeteners for one month...cause the pain was so horrible. I went to the doctor time after time and they could not find the cause. Last night, I had a Crystal Light drink and the pain followed quickly. I think this is the cause. I will never eat or drink diet/sugar free again!!

I have suffered from stomach cramps due to aspartame since i was 3. Aspartame has been linked to 92 side affects, some of which are blindness, brain damage and defects in unborn babies. Walkers have recently made their prawn cocktail crisps sugared again after around four years of aspartame, and i have not found a sugared chewing gum since wrigleys added aspartame to their spearmint chewing gum. Aspartame should be banned.

There are plenty of natural-remedy and holistic-advice websites that will tell you that aspartame CAN cause stomach aches. They will also tell you aspartame can cause hair loss, headache, infertility, bad breath, kidney stones, and leprosy. The "official" medical sites will tell you that aspartame is safe, meaning that no well-organized study has proven otherwise.

All the above is irrelevant: if you're having stomach pain and you suspect it's the diet sodas, try going off the sodas for 2 weeks. If you stomach pain goes away, drink a soda and see if it comes back.

I drank Coke Zero for 3 months (avg about 3 cans per day) until one day I got really awful burning stomach pain. I went off the soda and it was gone in a day. Next day I drank another Coke Zero and got severe pain again in about 15-20mins. Pretty clear in my case.

I began to notice that I could not ingest the product Equal without having a terrible burning sensation in the pit of my stomach immediately after drinking it. I was suffering from anxiety at the time and thought that possibly too much caffeine and sugar was my problem, so I decided to drink decaf coffee with equal and immediately found I was suffering from what felt like a hot burning piece of charcoal sitting in my stomach cooking me from the inside out. No amount of mylanta, tums or rolaids could fix it. It would go away after about 24 hours until I used the Equal again. Then I started to consume those flavored water beverages that also have aspartame in them and instantly experienced the same exact burning feeling in my belly. I have been avoiding any equal or aspartame containing drinks since. Recently I got that same feeling in my stomach again after chewing a piece of dentyne Ice Gum.. low and behold it contains aspartame too. Now I have to avoid ANY products with aspartame in it or suffer the wrath of my stomach lining .. Im not sure if it has been the cause of any of my other health problems but I can swear the direct link between consuming this stuff and my instant stomach pain. Mind you this is not like any other stomach issue I have ever had before, it is not just your run of the mill heartburn. It feels like I am poisoned when it happens.

I have been drinking a lot of coffee with splenda in it and I have a sudden knife like pain in my stomach. It is severe, literally like a knife is in my stomach....UGH.. but I thought of looking this up and found this page...I am convinced that this is the cause as I generally eat bland food and have been drinking lots of coffee. so I will try avoiding the sweetener and have only cream and report back..thanks all for th posts on this subject..

OMG this probably explains some excruciating stomach pains I was having! Three nights in a row, a few hours after I went to bed, I would wake up with horrible pain that lasted a good hour or more. I have been trying to drink a lot of water through out the day, and had been adding the Crystal Light packets to my water. I drank the Sunrise Classic Orage flavor all day. I was beside myself wondering what is wrong with me! I lost my job recently and do not have medical coverage currently so I did not want to see a doctor if I didn't have to. I stopped using Crystal Light and the pain has gone away.

Aspartame used to give me abdominal pain within 30 seconds of ingesting it.  I would know pretty quickly if I accidently grabbed a diet soda or diet yogurt.  I am now on a gluten free diet and I was surprised to find that I no longer have any trouble with aspartame.  I can liters of diet soda with no problem when a single spoonful of diet yogurt used to give me a reaction.  I have not found any other reports of this connection.  Maybe it is just my unique body chemistry, but I'd be interested if anyone else has discovered this.  Maybe it is an unknown symptom of celiac disease?

About 8 years ago I was under a lot of stress and would chew a whole pack of Wrigley wintergreen chewing gum in one sitting (about 17 sticks(the whole pack) in one hour)). I did this several days in a row and on the 4th day, as I was sitting at my desk, felt my brain totally -black out and I mean go dead black...nothing...for about 2 seconds. I am surprised -and glad I didn't fall to the floor. As I am my own doctor, (yes have no insurance), I studied the symptoms and causes and determined it was the aspartame in the gum that caused my 'black-blank out' as it can pass the blood brain barrier.

I recently was having much stress and drinking a lot of alcohol when a friend turned me on to Crystal Light. It tasted great and I found myself turning to it instead of alcohol so thought it was a good thing. On about the third day of consuming several glasses of the stuff, I found I couldn't sleep at all at night and had pains in my stomach I actually thought that it was the alcohol that caused me to have stomach problems. I continued with the Crystal Light, swearing off alcohol. Soon I was not sleeping the whole night, had gastrointestinal distress, and wasn't going to the bathroom, no matter how much fiber I was consuming. It has been about 2 weeks now that I have been drinking various flavors of Crystal Light and I thought about when the pain in my stomach started and recall it was when I stopped drinking alcohol and started drinking Crystal Light. I looked it up on line and found many sites-including this website, that informed about stomach pains and aspartame. I never checked to see what kind of sugar it had and regret that I did not! I am not sure what I will turn to instead of alcohol, as I have pains and stomach acid when I drink plain water or green tea, and am not into sweet fruity drinks, but I will stop the Crystal Light and hopefully did not do to much damage and will return to a normal digestive tract. I can't believe with all the warnings and negative effect stories out there that aspartame is still legally added as a sweetener!!! Stay away!!!!

I think Trident uses xylitol. Check it out.

me too I cant stand up straight because I ate sugar free gluten free sweets, the pain is actually like later stages of labour pain , was horrendous.

exactly the same with me.. no more diet cokes for me.

I noticed stomach pain after drinking Mojito Crystal Light and stopped drinking that flavor because I thought it was too acidic. Yesterday and today I have tried different Crystal Light flavors and the pain returned. A google search led me here. Thanks to everyone who posted! I now see that it is likely the aspartame. (I get headaches too-- probably from sweeteners in other drinks!)