My daughter, who is 14 years old, has been wanting a horse for a long time now. She has been taking riding lessons forever and is more interested in horses than in boys! I am not totally opposed to getting her a horse, but I am weary, because I think that horses live for a very long time, and you know what teenagers are like! Maybe she will get fed up with a horse in a number of years, and then what do we do? So please tell me, what is the average life expectancy for horses?

Horses have an average life expectancy of twenty to thirty years. Your daughter will have to understand that the horse will be her responsibility for the rest of its life, and that you, as the parents, will not take over if and when she does get bored with horse-riding. I have been riding since I was young too, and now, in my 30s, I am definitely still passionate about horses.