I am looking for some reliable facts about the life expectancy of patients after they have undergone a liver transplant. I would especially like to compare the life expectancy for patients who have liver conditions but no liver transplant. If anyone can be of any help in this respect, that would be wonderful!

Funny - finding out that the success rates of liver transplants are, as well as the life expectancy of patients who have received liver transplants, is not so easy through the internet. Often, information is available at the tip of your fingers. Not so with liver transplants. One British source cited that the average life expectancy of liver transplant patients is 22,2 years. I don't know if the figure is similar for other countries.

I ma 46 years old I was transplanted on july 4 1991, I was one of the first 1000 patients to test FK-506 which is now called Prograf. As of today I no longer take any medication of any kind. I have had no complilcations and never come close to rejection.

I am 26 years old... My transplant was June 28 1991, I'm also almost 22 years going strong! I have 2 children and take no medication

hi.  i was 46 years old when i had my transplant in 2008.  i started out with 10 tabs of prograf daily but am now down to 2 tabs a day.  my doctor tried bringing down the dosage but 2 tabs turned out to be the ideal dosage to date.

i've slowed down a lot the last year or so but i still run and can occasionally do 5 miles.  i don't know how long i still have, but having a second chance in life - somehow it doesn't seem to matter.  it's the quality that counts, too. 

cheers and best wishes to everyone here! :)

why did you have a transplant what wa sthe cause of your liver disease?

I had a liver transplant in 1998 and was told by the surgical head of the transplant team that a recipient can expect to live ten years less. From that I gathered that you can expect to live a long life. For example, if you were going to live to bee 100 then, you can expect to live 'til 90. It becomes a numbers game.

I am 53 years old and was transplanted in April of 2016. About 6 months ago. I am on 10 mg of Prograf (5 mg twice a day) and 500 mgs of Cellcept (250 mg twice a day). I hope to drop the Cellcept after 12 months. My transplant and recovery have gone amazingly well and I am feeling great! I have no idea what my life expectancy is post transplant and have never discussed it but I hope to live a good while longer.

Transplanted in June 2014 at age 62. Currently on 1.5 Prograff a day. No problems. No issues. Travel frequently with my husband and living a full and happy life. Thank God for miracles as I was only a week away from death when a donor was found.

my mother had a liver transplant, this Nov it will be 25 years and she is still doing very well so hope for the best.

About 50% make it twenty years

Very well said!!