These days, I am more of a social smoker than anything else and I do do my best to stay off the smoking as much as I can. This is a best change for me, because I used to smoke up to two packets a day. Eventually, it is my goal to quit smoking altogether. I do really want to know what the average life expectancy is for a smoker. I know it is less than for other people, but I really need to know how much less.

The average life expectancy for smokers is a whopping ten years less than the life expectancy of those who don't smoke. We all know that there are exceptions to the rule, and that claims of people who say that "my uncle lives to 96 and he smoked all his life, so smoking isn't that bad" are... based on faulty logic. The good news is that your lungs get better every year you refrain from smoking. If you stop now, it is entirely possible to get your lungs back to their original state, in about ten years from now.