A friend of mine has a granddaughter who was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome - also known as preleukemia, as you probably know. As far as I know, many people with leukemia are healed and can continue to live a long life. What is myelodysplastic syndrome like? Does myelodysplastic syndrome affect a person's life expectancy? What are the risks that treatment will not work?

Hello there,

I am so sorry that your friend has such a terrible problem. And I am so sorry that his granddaughter has been diagnosed with such a terrible condition.

Basically patients with myelodysplastic syndromes often develop severe anemia and they require frequent blood transfusions.

In most of the diagnosed cases this condition worsens and the patient develops cytopenias which is low blood count and this is happening because of the progressive bone marrow failure.

Unfortunately in about one third of patients with this condition the disease transforms into acute myelogenous leukemia and this happens usually in a few months or years.

Since your friend granddaughter is young (I presume) the good prognosis are on her side and I hope that this fact is true.

My mom has been diagnosed with this and she is 83. The doctor said a month ago she had four to six months to live. She has been receiving blood transfusions every three weeks, the next one is in two weeks. This seems to me that her time will be shorter because of the frequent transfusions.

My mother, who will turn 80 in December, has also been diagnosed with this. her transfusions are becoming a weekly thing. They will be checking the bladder because she seems to be losing blood this way. Will these transfusions help or hurt?