I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2. I am 45 years old and am doing everything I can to reverse the effects of diabetes through diet and activity, and I am also on tablets for diabetes. Is my life expectancy affected by the diabetes? Will I die younger? What do statistics say about this?

People with diabetes definitely have a lower life expectancy compared to the general population, but it largely depends on the type of diabetes you have. Before insulin was discovered, those with diabetes type 1 would die within a few years of onset. In this day and age, your "colleagues" with diabetes type 1 are still facing more of a challenge than you, with diabetes type 2. Long term studies are currently being conducted, but I am convinced that the life expectancy of patients with diabetes type 2 is not much different from anybody's life expectancy, with the right approach to treatment of course.

Oh, that does do a lot to put my mind at rest, thank you so much! I am still very new to the whole diabetes thing and I am worried out of my mind that I will get some of the complications that can strike people with diabetes, and that I will not live for much longer. Where can I read more about the studies you mention?