My friend asked if I want to play on his soccer league in the fall. I think it would be fun, but I have this fear that I'll twist my ankle or knee or something else will happen and I won't be able to run, which would suck.

Does anyone else avoid playing sports like soccer and basketball because of this? Or am I just being silly?

I have known a few soccer and basketball players to say their joints and knees don't hold up as well in running because of the constant back and forth motions on the soccer/basketball courts as former and current players.

But yet, one girl I know that makes that statement about how soccer affects her current running also qualified for Boston last year.

IMO you have to look at running as part of your overall life enjoyment package. Unless you are an elite runner, I wouldn't sacrifice other sports that interest you. Look at tri-athletes. They have to depend upon staying healthy for swimming, cycling and running. If they incur a running injury they work on their swimming or cycling until it gets better. Keep your options open. Otherwise you will work yourself into an ulcer worrying about what might happen. You can sprain your ankle just as easily on a training run as a soccer field.

Even if you incur an injury, you deal with it just as any other facet of life. Do what it takes to heal and continue on. If that means you may have to modify your running as well as other sports for a period of time, that's a part of life. It's not anything I would spend a whole lot of time worrying about.

It's all about enjoyment. If it's worth the risk to you, go ahead. I'd hate to miss out on mountain biking because I'm too scared of breaking something and not being able to run.

But then again I can't run right now and even though I think my foot injury is unrelated to mountain biking, who knows? It's possible I landed weird or something.

I broke my arm playing soccer. But I'm fine now, I still run and play soccer. It's a risk you you have to take.

I agree with all of the above. If running is just a part of your life and something you really enjoy, then why give up other things you enjoy as well? You could, and I have, just as easily injure yourself RUNNING and not be able to run, so like someone said, unless you make your living running, why make it the sole focus of your life to the exclusion of anything else you might also like to do? I love hiking and there's plenty of room for injury there, but you just be careful and do what you have to do. Plus, being interested in other sports is always a plus if you DO get injured and can't run....especially swimming and other non impact sports, because then you won't go stir crazy being benched (like I did a few years ago because I refused to do anything BUT run....and then I couldn't run...and HOO BOY was a I big old beeyotch while on the bench ;) )

I've given up basketball and softball for the reasons you listed. I don't want to twist an ankle or tear an acl right now. Not that I ever would, but my running has been progressing so much the last few months. That sucess is based on putting in more miles and adding more intense workouts, along with racing a lot to acquire more experience. Running offers me enough injury opportunities. I don't want to screw everything up by having to take several weeks off.

So yes, I have given up other sports for running.

:1:
You made a very good point! In the past when my training was going great, I avoided other sports, in retrospect I wouldn't do it again. I ended up getting injuried on an easy training run. If it happens it happens. I would say do what you enjoy.

When i play tennis with my fiance and then go running, my knees feel sore, but i wouldn't trade the time i spend playing with her for anything.

:1: Add cycling in to where he has running and that's me. Things are going well for me right now and I don't want to risk screwing them up with a sport I'm only doing for fun (as opposed to duathloning which I also do for fun. :? )

I turned down a chance to play on a soccer team for two reasons - I know nothing about soccer and I didn't want to screw up my already suspect knees any further. I still enjoy the occasional pick up basketball and softball games though and am considering joining a softball team again next year.