My kids played soccer in the spring baseball and softball this summer, and swim team is an option, although we didn't do that this year. This fall they are playing soccer again, and tonight my daughter has sign up for girls basketball.

Sheesh. When I was a kid, I don't remember being so busy. And yes, I know they don't have to be in everything. We make it clear to them that they don't have to do anything they don't want to.

or are kids extremely busy these days? My kids played soccer in the spring baseball and softball this summer, and swim team is an option, although we didn't do that this year. This fall they are playing soccer again, and tonight my daughter has sign up for girls basketball. Sheesh. When I was a kid, I don't remember being so busy. And yes, I know they don't have to be in everything. We make it clear to them that they don't have to do anything they don't want to.
my oldest is playing volleyball and field hockey right now while three others are playing soccer. Then it's five will playing basketball followed by three on track in the spring and four playing baseball/softball in the spring/summer.

Yep,

TriBoy: karate 4 yrs, cubscouts 4 yrs (cross over in Jan), 1st yr track soon

TriGirl: Karate 4 yrs, brownies 3 yrs, swim team 2 yrs

No, your not crazy. That's the way the times are I guess. I hear it all the time at the gym.."I'm just too busy to get into the gym cuz of the kids schedules." :| Do kids have time to be kids these days? I mean keep them busy and outta trouble yeah, but it seems like a lot to me for some families.

I set the rule when the oldest was very young that each is allowed one organized sport/activity per season. That worked with sports but now there are junior high clubs to contend with.

my kid is allowed one thing, other than her music study and school. and i'm telling you that's enough. her homework is easily 1.5 hrs a night, her soccer practices are 2 hours 2-3x a week, music one night a week, and then sunday is on the road traveling to games. i truly can't imagine how parents are doing it with more than one active kid. i've backed her out of church youth group which meets twice a week, sadly, we just can not fit this in without her being a basketcase. what are we doing wrong? how do people do it with more than one kid and keep their sanity? i get no help from mr. rock but truly, i don't think i'm alone there; i see other mothers who have more than one kid with no spousal support doing it. it makes me cringe. glad my son is a slacker. :|

If there is one consistent complaint I hear from parents, it's about kids' schedules.
I know up here a lot more sports/activities used to be school based. You left the kid at school until they were done drama/sports/dance.
I find that the busier a family is, the more sibling rivalry there is between kids. Just an observation.

I'm afraid of overextension too! Number two son....swimming, soccer, and he signed up for viola. He says he might not do student council. Great...that was during school hours.

Coach-- I'll tell you, if your swim team is anything like ours, it's VERY consuming. At 9, practice = 1.5 hours a day!! He turned 9 at the end of spring season and I picked him up after an hour when he told me that he had swum 3400 meters in one practice!

Because parents have no control over their kids' schedules. :?

It's all about priorities.

As Aire Jr was growing up we fought the urge to involve Aire Jr in everything that all his buddies were in and instead concentrated only on things that interested him and spending time together as a family.

Now he's in soccer and youth group. That takes up his entire week. He's a youth leader one night and the other night is HIS youth group night.

Now that on top of ortho, dentists and other docs--we're constantly running. But, he's in HS now.