I am a 66 yr old female athete and play all kinds of sports, such as golf, tennis and volleyball. My orthopedic surgeon says I need total shoulder replacement. However, he says I can't play spots afterwards.

Other than the shoulder I am a very healthy and fit female who runs and works out religiously.

What is your thought on sports after shoulder replacement.

Thanks so much,
Annie :-)

That's unfortunate to hear that you won't be able to use your arms after your surgery! I think that you should follow your doctor's advice for sure. Have you considered soccer? That doesn't involve your arms and it's possible that you'd be able to play that since I assume that your doctor doesn't want you to play sports and injure your shoulder. If it's for other reasons, it might be a good idea to ask him. Keep us posted, Annie!

Annie,

I'm 53 and have had a shoulder replacement for 10 years. Back then my doctor told me that he had patients who had the same surgery and were back playing tennis. I play tennis, softball and have even lifted weights. Don't be afraid to use the shoulder you only go through life once don't let this stop you from doing what you love.

Mike

I think that was wonderful advice!