Looking for this mythical beast called a sports doctor, who will work with someone when they are HEALTHY to help keep them that way.

I'm 290lbs and dropping. Dropped 32lbs so far and more to go. Well, my normal General Doctor is just about useless.

thoguhts on how to find someone?

Where are you located? I found a guy in Atlanta that I really liked (except that he talked too fast).

Best to get references. Contact a local running or bike club and see if anyone has any recommendations.

What kind of advice are you looking for? You may not need a doc.

Well, I'm 290lbs down from 322. 5'9". Trinewbie (2 sprints done this year, 3 more this year!). This is my 30th week as a retired coach potatoe.

I've had a variety of issues, some of which perhaps a good coach maybe, but stuff like getting a more precise Max HR. VO2 Max. BMR. I'm a numbers geek and I can't seem to find someone to help fufill my addiction!

Also, and probably the REAL most important thing is to give me some better guidance in sorting out INJURY from NORMAL "growing" pains transitioning into an athletic lifestyle.

Then, of course, the occasional injury and what I call, pre-injuries that come with the territory of being such a big guy and doing so much work. Example- 2nd Tri, I bolted out on the run like a bat out of heck and followed the pack. DUH. Bad move. I know I cannot run on a right-cambered road. My right ankle is weaker (dunno why) and if I run for even a minute I'm gonna feel it. So my right ankle cramps (or hurts?) and left shin does the same. I basically am stuck with a SLLLLLOW walk. Stretching doesn't help. But, experience has told me, walk through it (slow down!) and it'll go away. 25 minutes!! later it did and I was able to resume a semi-normal pace. AFTER, my right ankle was WEAK. Left shin perfectly fine. So sorting out NORMAL from Pre-Injury from Injury in a case like this is beyond me. And beyond my current Doctor.

Figuring out WHY my right ankle is like that, and fixing it is another.

Figuring out WHY I also bloody cramp during the run phase of a Tri (electrolytes? Stetching? Stress?).

Stuff like that... sorry to ramble, but I want to MAXIMIZE the return on my workout time without getting hurt (which will hurt in the long run!)

Any advice appreciated!

Located in Chicago BTW

thx