I have been reading a lot about many cases people had problems with different bacteria. I know that condition is called bacteremia, although I had luck never experience this. I am interested into each medical topic I found possible to happen to my family or me. This is why I would like to hear more about this problem with bacteremia, especially in children.

Often, the only manifestation of occult bacteremia is fever or a minor infection. Therefore, in a busy clinic or emergency department, infants and young children with occult bacteremia are difficult to distinguish from others. Fever is common in pediatric patients, where children have averagely 4-6 fevers by age of the two years. Important is to know that fever also prompts many visits to the pediatric clinic and emergency department. Children with bacteremia report fever, but less commonly that happens in infants younger than 3 months than in those aged 3 months to 3 years. Bacteremia may also occur in children with focal infections or in children who have sepsis. Children with sepsis have an increased heart rate or respiratory rate and may have a change in temperature, which is a problem. Children with sepsis syndrome or severe sepsis have hypotension, hypoperfusion, or organ dysfunction, caused by bacteremia. Septic shock might occur in children who do not respond to adequate volume resuscitation. As you see, the most important is to understand that bacteria may be present in the bloodstream of children with focal infections, sepsis, severe sepsis, or septic shock.