I know that bacteremia is an invasion of the bloodstream by bacteria. I found it scary, because I have heard this may occur through a wound or infection. I have a friend who gets bacteremia after a surgical procedure. That is why I would like to hear what you could tell me about causes why bacteremia happens.

First, you have to know that bacteremia may cause no symptoms and resolve without treatment. In other cases, it may produce fever and other symptoms of infection. In some cases, however, bacteremia leads to septic shock, a potentially life-threatening condition. To understand cause, you have to know that several types of bacteria live on the surface of the skin or colonize the moist linings in the organism. They are placed in urinary tract, lower digestive tract, and other internal surfaces. These bacteria are normally harmless as long as they are kept in check by the body's natural immune system. That is why people in good health with strong immune systems rarely develop bacteremia. However, when bacteria are introduced directly into the circulatory system the immune system may not be able to cope with the invasion. This happens especially in a person who is ill or undergoing aggressive medical treatment, and then symptoms of bacteremia may develop. For this reason, bacteremia is most common in people who are already affected by or being treated for some other medical problem, as your friend was.

My husband passed away in 2012 with bacteremia, septic shock, multi organ failure. This was just 24 days after he had a heart cath done, He just complained of shortness of breath and swelling in his feet in which he was told to loose the belly fat and they would change his BP meds.. I believe my husband infection came from when he had that heart cath.So my question is just how long can bacteremia lay in the blood stream before all heck brakes loose?