I have baby boy, who is only 9 weeks old. Few days ago I have heard on television something that really made me worry. I have heard group B strep can cause diseases in newborns, which usually occurs in first week of life. I want to know more about sepsis, which I have been told is infection of the bloodstream with strep of group B.

Group B strep is the most common cause of sepsis or infection of the bloodstream in newborns. Also it can be cause of meningitis and common cause of pneumonia. In adults this bacterium usually doesn’t causes any symptoms. However, in rare cases it can lead to serious bloodstream infections. Also and urinary tract infections, pneumonia and skin infections have been reported. These problems usually occur in people with weakened immune systems and other health problems such as diabetes. Interesting is that group B strep bacteria can be carried in humans body without any infection or sickness. Colonization with this group of bacteria is usually harmless. This bacterium could become deadly if something happens that allows them to invade the bloodstream. I believe there is no need to worry because strep in bloodstream in newborn is usually while the baby is still in the hospital.