How are children infected by tuberculosis? I am studying for a nurse, and we recently visited children department in local hospital, as a part of our practice. There were several heavy cases that really made me upset and I almost started crying. Anyhow, I will acquire books and scripts concerning this subject next week, but I would like to know something about this right now.

There are many ways for our little ones to get infected with tuberculosis. Sources can vary from infected mother, breast feeding, inadequate sterilized instruments used for cutting umbilical cord? (this happens rarely and it is called neonatal tuberculosis). The main problem with diseases in very young children is that their defense system are not working in full capacity, therefore they are in more danger when we discuss illnesses.