My child was diagnosed yesterday with pneumonia, precisely with bacterial pneumonia and was prescribed erythromycin. I’ve noticed that he is sleepier than usually and has lost the appetite and I wonder if the pneumonia may cause some medical complications and how long it usually takes for pneumonia to heal. Thanks

Hi! Usually the kids get away with pneumonia easier and faster. My son also had bacterial pneumonia and was prescribed amoxicillin that is usually prescribed to patients with pneumonia. I think that it might be that your son is probably allergic at penicillins and for that reason he is prescribed erythromycin. Anyway bacterial pneumonia doesn’t last longer than two weeks but it may be even longer depends on when the pneumonia is diagnosed. The faster the diagnose is made faster the patient will recover. Also recovery time depends on the severity of the symptoms if he has the fever that is high and constant healing period would probably last longer. And my son was sleepy and without appetite but its normal symptom of pneumonia so you shouldn’t be worries that much over it. And as for the complications they’re very rare in children but sometimes it happens that patients with pneumonia may not breathe on their own and need some breathing support such as the placement of breathing tube. In cases like this the hospitalization is needed. Another complication occurs when those bacteria that has caused pneumonia spreads to bloodstream and may provoke septic shock that might be fatal. Also these bacteria may reach other parts of the body such as brain, heart and kidneys and the complications are unavoidable in these cases. But as I said those complications are very rare especially when pneumonia is treated on time.