Hello, folks. My friends have some problem with their kid’s skin. It seems that the little boy has been diagnosed with impetigo. I have heard something about this disease, but I don’t know any details. I would really like to know how it is caused. Can anyone help me with some piece of info?

Hi, there. Impetigo is a skin infection that affects mostly infants and kids. It is highly contagious. It appears like red sores. These sores are mostly located around children’s nose or mouth. It mostly appears when bacteria enter through the already damaged skin. By damaged, I mean cuts or bites of an insect. However, bacteria can even enter through the intact skin. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello to you too. There are two types of bacteria that cause impetigo. The first one Staphylococcus aureus and it is more common. The other one is Streptococcus pyogenes. Both of these bacteria can live on the surface of the skin. In adults, these bacteria usually enter the skin through a wound or a cut. It is often common that adults have some other skin disease and that impetigo develops on the terrain of this disease. This is similar with the kids, but there is an exception. Impetigo can appear even if they have completely healthy skin. Please, don’t hesitate to ask if you need more details. Bye!

Hello, good people. I agree with the previous posts. However, there must be some risk factors, so impetigo could appear. The most affected are the kids between 2 and 6 years old. Their immune system is still developing and that is why they are more prone to impetigo. These bacteria easily spread in schools and child care facilities. Impetigo is more common in summer since these bacteria like humid and warm weather. They can be transmitted via direct contact with the diseased person, but also via towel or some other personal object. If there is dermatitis, especially atopic dermatitis, there is a higher risk for impetigo. I hope I’ve helped you a little.