Hi, my baby is diagnosed to have Serratia Marcescens infection manifesting as meningitis. I suspect that the baby was infected in hospital, because I’ve heard of other cases of this infection. What are other possible complications?

Hi, I was also in hospital after giving birth and my baby, who wasn’t weighting enough anyway, got that terrible infection. I guess hygiene in hospital is not on a satisfactory level. Serratia are known as invaders who cause severe cerebral infections in infants. Bacteraemia is a case when bacteria spreads to the blood, and by blood it can reach all organs. Some other babies developed clinical sepsis or purulent conjunctivitis. In worst cases of infection infant may die, since the baby’s organism is poor in defensive ability. Serratia is spread by air, and air-conditioners seem fearful associated with spreading of bacteria.

My baby is 8mts old and has always been fine, i recently picked up some bottles at a yard sale and notice them turning bright pink after they were used! Im very worried now that it is serratia marcescens