Hello! My mom is about to have a barium enama. Is there anybody who can explain to me what this is? I know she had some problems with abdominal pain and constipation, but I can’t figure out what barium enama is. I would appreciate your help! Thx

Hi there! A Barium Enema is an x-ray examination of a colon. It takes for about 30min to one hour. Before the test, there is some 72h preparing to do. One needs to take as much liquid as possible but no milk or milk products, only clear liquids like tea, black coffee, bouillon, apple juice, popsicles, ice, water, and cola. After midnight the night before the test, a patient should not eat or drink. During “filming” it is possible for some cramps to occur. After the Barium Enema, one need to resume their routine diet and medications, drink a lot of liquid. The stool may have a whitish color to it until you have expelled all of the barium solution received for the test.