Hello! My son lives abroad and he has recently started living with some girl. We have never met her. They are coming for my daughter’s birthday next Friday though. The problem is that the girl is vegetarian and apart from some salads I am preparing I don’t know what she will eat. I don’t want the poor girl to be left hungry and most of all not to be able to try the cake. While I can easily make the cake without the eggs, I have a problem making one without the milk. What kind of milk vegetarians can drink?

Hoi! I am a vegetarian from my childhood and since I eat no animal products I mostly rely on soy milk or rice milk. Both are very good and you can find them in any healthy food store. Soy milk you can find in both liquid state and as powder which you dissolve in water yourself. Rice milk, on the other hand, I could find only as powder. Make sure to mix it with cool water. The taste is good, and since it is a bit sweet it is even better to use it for cakes than the ordinary milk.

Hello! I would just like to add that most of the vegetarians are ovo-lacto vegetarians, which means that they consume milk and eggs. It is considered the healthiest vegetarian diet. So you should ask your soon if his girlfriend is ovo-lacto too. If she is, you can make your usual cake.