I had tonsillectomy on wednesday (April 15th) morning, and so far my recovery has been fairly decent and not as bad as what I was expecting after reading some horrific recovery experiences.

Within an hour after I woke up from the surgery, I managed to eat 8 popsicles, a cup of jello, and 2 cups of iced-water before I was being discharged from the hospital. Yes, there is pain as of now, but the pain has been very managable. It seriously just felt like I am having a really severe strep-throat episode. I was prescribed tylenol 3 and ammoxicilin, both in liquid forms. I took tylenol 3 religiously ... 5 tsp every 4 hours, and I had my alarm clock set up for every 4 hours as a reminder. As I was told by the nurse, I put ice packs on my neck often in the first 48 hours to prevent bleeding. My uvula however is very swollen and as big as my thumb. I consistenly felt that I had something stuck on my throat and couldn't clear it out.

The only things I ate so far was popsicles and lots of it, jellos, and baby food. I was sooo hungry today, so I tried to have some overcooked, very soft chicken noodle soup, but unfortunately I still couldn't swallow solid food ... too painful. One other thing that helped me survive so far ... DRINK, DRINK, and DRINK lots of iced-water. Not only it'd make your throat moist (thus less pain), but it also gave this unexplainable numbing effect, which tremendously relieved the pain.

I am definitely very weak and tired for the lack of food and sleeping, but I am glad to know that I am on the road to recovery. I'll keep you updated again in a few days.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us.

Wow, I'm glad to hear that your recovery is going so well! You sound like you're among one of the ones who has had a better recovery than most. Keep us posted on how you're doing, okay? I'll be watching :-D

Hi all,
I'm a 49 year old male who had a tonsillectomy last Thursday 6.11.2011 after suffering from 2 quinsy's in June and September of last year. Most unpleasant.
Today is Tuesday so I guess thats day 5.
Read all the horror stories on the net and thought I was in for a rough ride. however so far so good. Never had a general anaesthetic before so was apprehensive about that and obviously a bit scared of the operation also. Anyway after a 3 hour wait I was finally wheeled into the anaesthetic room and the drugs were administered into my left hand, no big deal just a wee scratch. Then I awoke on same trolly bed by someone saying "are you alright?" I was then wheeled to the other side of the room and left to recover. Cant remember much of this other than the fact I had a really dry mouth. Asked a nurse for some water which i sipped very slowly. I also managed to eat half a cheese and pickle sandwich as requested by the nurse. Not much pain at all. I got onto the recovery ward at 16.30 and was discharged at 22.30 went home to bed, not much pain at this stage either. Woke every hour or so, had a drink of carbonated water each time. I've been taking the maximum dose of the prescribed medication which is Co-codamol 30/500 x 2 every 6 hours and Ibuprofen 400mg x 1 every 8 hours. I've been drinking at least 2 litres of carbonated water daily plus a few cups of tea and coffee and have tried to follow my normal dietary habits which I have mostly. I am normally a fit active guy who eats well doesn't drink much or smoke and takes regular exercise. I'm sure this is something do do with my easy recovery or is it the fact that i've done exactly what the doctor said i.e. drinking loads of water and eating as normal. Whatever it is its working just hope it continues to go as well as it has.
I'll add some more later but for the mean time if you've got to have this done my advice would be do as i've done.
Good luck
Kevin

Hey all! I'm 20 years old and just had my tonsils removed on 2/1/2011. Nervous to say the least, my surgery went very well! I did read online about the post recovery and really was expecting the worst but it hasn't been all that bad! I've ate popsicles and jello mainly, and I managed to get down some eggs this morning but it was a little painful. My tongue feels a little swollen and I've lost my voice a little but it just feels like a really bad sore throat for now. I read before also you might lose weight just because of all the liquids and not being able to eat solid food and so far I've lost 2 pounds as of yesterday. The recovery for me though hasn't been that bad, but I have been on an antibiotic as well as morphine to help the pain which I stay on top of and have to take every 4 hours. Just thought I'd share my experience to help others out who might be curious! :-)

Im a 24 year old female, 10days post operation now. I read so many horror stories before my surgery and had prepared for the worst in some ways and hoped for the best in others.
I suffered with horrible sceptic tonsilitis virtually every month and my tonsils where huge.
My surgery was a bit more complicated due to the size of my tonsils but it went well. My surgeon described my tonsils as "disgusting" haha! So quite glad to now be rid of them.
But in terms of pain, i have to say it has been quite horrific. i have a very good pain threshold - suffered with various bone breaks tonsilitis etc in the past fine, but this has nothing on all them combined. The first few hours post surgery where my best up to today! The pain was just never ending and gradually got worse each day until it peaked around day 7/8. You get a lot of ear pain also as it starts to heal.
I wish there was a guide to prepare you for the surgery and give you a clear idea of how it is going to go and be afterwards. But i think if this exisited ppl wouldnt go through with the surgery.
Now on day 9 my throat is still very tender and sore, my speaking is getting better, cant sneeze, yawn or cough.
But please no matter how many horror stories you hear the one thing you need to do is DRINK!!!! and EAT - and dont eat soft foods for 2 weeks, a mixture of hard and soft foods are the key! Even when the pain is at its worst!
I look forward to hopefully making a big improvement over the next few weeks. But dont take this surgery lightly, its a MAJOR deal and BIG surgery you are going in for. If you keep that in perspective you should be fine.

I'm currently on day 13 of my recovery. I had my tonsils removed on the 13th of August. Days 1-6 were manageable and slowly started getting better. But when day 7 hit I was in excruciating pain and I cried for hours. I still have this pain at the back of my tongue on the right side only. I still have a lingering aching pain only when I swallow. Ice packs on the neck help a lot. My surgeon prescribed me liquid Tylenol 3 which did nothing for me so I kinda just waited out the pain. On day 8 we called the surgeon because I kept having bleeding. They told me I could have liquid Motrin and it has done wonders for me. Mixing it with a bottle of water and sipping on it all day is a great way to keep the pain down.