There's been a stomach virus going around my school. Personally, I'm very afraid of getting one, because I really can't deal with all the spontaneous sickness and not knowing when a bout of, let's say diarrhea or vomit will come.
Therefore, I'm very aware of how my stomach feels and I pay a lot of attention to it. Last night, before going to bed, I was on the computer and I felt and heard popping noises in my stomach, and gurgling, and feelings that are similar to when you're hungry (but trust me, I wasn't hungry.) These are signs that usually send up a red flag for me.
When I actually went to bed, I started to feel this pain in my upper abdomen, where the stomach actually is I guess, as opposed to the intestines or something like that. Then the dull pain travels throughout my whole abdominal area.
I wake up at 3 AM with really excrutiating pain. I've had stomach viruses before, and the popping and growling just indicates that I must make a trip to the bathroom. I went to the bathroom and everything, and that would calm it down for a few seconds, but then it would come back. It wasn't really too sharp, but it was just as if someone was in there grabbing at my insides, and it was really, really unbearable, to the point where I was moaning and shaking my legs in an attempt to massage the area. The pain became so nauseating that I ended up vomiting.
Around two hours later the pain subsided, and I was able to go back to bed (5:30 AM) and sleep until 11 or so. I haven't had any issues since...but then again I haven't eaten anything just yet.
My question is, do these symptoms sound typical of a stomach virus, or is the terrible cramping pain in my stomach differ from what actually happens during a stomach virus? I'm slowly going to introduce clear liquids to my body, and I'll see what happens. Once again, any help is very appreciated.

Hi! This was not necessarily a virus, you could have just eaten something that was contaminated with bacteria. It is usually salmonella or E. coli or other bacteria.

How are you feeling today? If you vomited like you say you did, it is quite possible that you have expelled the bacteria and that you won’t have anymore problems. If bacteria were still present in your body, it is self-limiting, which means it will do what ever it does in the body and go away.
In case, you continue to have symptoms, they would usually last for 3-4 days.
During those four days, make sure you eat just light food like toasts, cooked potatoes, soups, etc and make sure you don’t get dehydrated. Now, it is important that you don’t drink too much water because you can irritate your stomach, which is already irritated. You were right when you said that you were going to introduce fluids gradually.

If this were a stomach virus, you would also have a diarrhea.
If your symptoms don’t clear in 3-4 days time or if they become severe, you should see a doc.

If you are so sensitive about stomach viruses like you say you are, make sure you maintain proper hygiene: wash your hands after every bathroom visit, don’t share your glasses and utensils, etc

My wife just experienced the same thing but she was throwing up every hour for the entire night with diahrea. With the research that I ihave done I have learned that it is important to STAY HIDRATED! You don't want to end up in the hospital in nedd of an iv. That's all I got. Hope you feel better!

My dad, whom lives with me, had this about 4 days ago.. my roomate had it 2 days ago in the morning and then I got it that afternoon. First 12 hours were incredibly painful with non-stop trips to the bathroom with diarrhea and vomiting..... the next 24 hours were more of the same but less frequent...... I've been keeping hydrated by drinking some water and soda but only gulps at a time since anything more seems to upset my stomach. Don't care for food much but toast alone or with jelly seems to be o.k.... tried a couple of tablespoons of rice and soup but, just like the liquids, could only do a little at a time and then it starts upsetting my stomach... does eventually go away without vomiting or diarrhea... gingerale helps with this.... my dad and roomate are o.k. now.. hope this helps some and you feel better

i actually had this thursday night. it woke me up from sleep and i was having severe abd. pain. i was having diarrhea and vomiting like crazy. i actually lost count of how many times i did each b/c i was in the bathroom for 4 hours. finally at like 5 in the morning, my boyfriend said he would take me to the ER and when i got there, the nurse gave me 2 bags of fluids and some phenergan. i still felt horrible the rest of the day. the Dr. put me on a clear liquid diet for the day and advance as tolerated. it has been 3 days since ive had it and my boyfriend just developed it a couple hours ago. Hope that this helps

This was wicked. It started at 4 am on a Thursday. First the violent vomiting occurring every half hour. Then by the afternoon, it moved to diarrhea. Serious diarrhea. This lasted until Saturday evening. Then it moved to serious gas. Here it is Sunday night and I am still suffering.

I am just getting over it now. I started with those weird pains in my stomach that you are talking about a few days befor I finally got sick. I had no appetite for about two days and then it hit me while I was sleeping with extreme nausea. I ran to the bathroom but it turned out that I did not have to throw up, however I had horrible diarreah. I broke into a sweat and every 20 minutes or so had to go into the bathroom. My boyfriend took me to the E.R where they had me on a IV for 6 hours because I was so dehydrated. They also put some medicine in my system that would keep me from getting nauseas. The next day I slept all day long and got a fever that night. After a good nights sleep I felt much better the next day but I still had a little diarreah. Now today everytjhing is finally starting to get back to normal but I am still very catious about what I eat.

I started with the exact symptoms that you are feeling now. I know you don't want to hear it but if a lot of people around you have it then its kinda of inevitable that you will because it is VERY contagious. My boyfriend and little sister both ended up in the emergency room from it right befor I did. All you can do when it hits is stay hydrated and ride it out. Drink lots of fluids but in small quantities and stay away from diaries they will only aggravate your stomach more. Absolutly no milk! Goodluck and I hope you feel better.

i had a simillar problem i was always throwing ehp an no medicine at my house seemed to be helping an i had terible stomache pains and had diahrea an i drank water but a lil at a time an got a good night sleep an was careful about what i ate an it seemed to help i only ate light food an soups i hope this helps

I personally think it is not something you ate. I was getting ready for work this morning then all of a sudden I just had this sharp pain in the top of my stomach. The pain is almost unbearable. I go to throw up but nothing comes. It's just this sharp pain. Is this the stomach flu?

not a flu, a virus have had one bout with this my kids are on the second. it seems there are several strains. my bout lasted 24 hours, i would throw up once, but in a trash can because the other end was the worst. drank some kids pedialite, ate some soup and was fine. my kids second bout is way different. so wash your hands people, you can get this more than once.

I have felt nauseous yesterday and really nauseous today. Almost threw up a few times but did not. Still nauseous now. Haven't eaten anything all day except a small handful of cereal in the morning, and small sips of ginger ale throughout the day. Should I eat anything? I still feel really nauseous. Is this a stomach virus?

Think about how you felt when you were throwing up in the bathroom that night...and imagine that you felt that way for 3-4 days straight. That is a stomach virus. You didn't have that. What you had was most likely a 24-hour stomach bug, or you ate something that did not agree with you or had contaminated food. If you had the stomach flu, it would have lasted a couple days. Gastrointeritus (sp?) which I have had (and many times) lasts longer. I had projectile vomiting every 15-30 minutes for the first few days and little sleep. Then came the chronic diarrhea and fatigue. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do but wait it out. Antibiotics don't help, and don't bother with pepto or anything, because you'll just throw it up before it has time to work.If you get it, just keep yourself hydrated because dehydration will make matters worse. 7-up, ginger ale, and gatorade work well. While eating seems almost impossible because it makes vomiting more painful, try soups sparingly. Also bouillon cubes for broth are good as well as applesauce. Try to stay rested. :)

Sources: Personal experience (too many times) 

can you get it again, keep swapping it around?

I would think that you could get just about anything a second time. The cold, the flu, bronchitis, herpes, cancer, there's always a chance it could come back. There's also a chance that it never left, and personally I think that's more the case with bacterium and fungi(and vaccines). Alot of what these people are experiencing sounds like my sister, who has been like this since October 2011. It is now August 16, 2012, and she is undiagnosed, untreated, and her symptoms are broadening in scope. I think it may be the work of H. Pylori and or Candida Albicans, but both are extremely common and fairly unreliable for testing. Do any of you experience Bile Vomit? In these past months she has thrown up many times, but no matter how much she ate or didn't eat, it was never food.

My husband and I started to experience stiffness and headaches and now we are really sick and don't know what it is.we have pain in our bellys ,stiffness and body aches .He is cold but I am having hot flashes.He also is vomiting .I am just nauseated.Is this a virus.