I am 30 years and I've had stomach problems for as long as I can remember. Earlier it just used to be mal-formed stools and burning and stomach discomfort now and then. But now it has been going on for 4 months. Added to this I have had recurrent mouth ulcers in the last year. I have now got nose ulcers and even though they are not as painful as my mouth ulcers the fact that they have stayed on for 2 weeks is causing quite a bit of worry for me. In addition to all these I am also having serious anal itching. Even though I say anal itching, it is really the area near the anus that is itchy all the time.

While I've had tummy problems for ages, in the last 2 months I have had severe burning sensation in the lower abdomen when passing stools. The stools are sometimes mal-formed and are explosive. There is also mucous in the stools once in a while. This time around I had the colonoscopy and barius enema test done and am waiting for the results of the biopsy that they took during colonoscopy and the barium enema test.

the results of the colonoscopy were normal and the they said I have haemarroids.

I feel the stomach churning after every meal that I have and most of the times I have to visit to toilet to get some relief. I seem to get dull pain on the left and right side just below the rib cage now and them. If I have a heavy meal, I feel bloated and it causes much discomfort and is ultimately relieved by a visit to the toilet.

I have gotten mouth ulcers almost every month this year and even though it is just one or 2, it is very painful. I have also got nose ulcers for the first time and the have been there for the last 2 weeks.

I am applying seudocream for the anal itching but if I forget to apply even for a single day it starts itching.

I am Asian and hence assume that I am not at high risk of Caeliac disease. Crohns and ulcerative colitis have also been ruled out.

can someone please throw some light on what this could be as i reaching my wits end as i am sure the results of the barium enema would also be normal and the doctors would stick to the IBS theory.

Hi jkd

Yes, there is an answer to why you're having these symptoms!

From what you wrote, it sounds like you have an infection in your gut (parasite, fungal or bacterial). This can cause severe itching around the anus. Its actually what is 'leaking' out of your anus that causes local skin irritation, that's why as soon as you stop the cream the itching starts again. (Nappy rash cream can be really useful straight after bathing as it puts a protective layer on your skin). The bug is probably where the tummy rumbling, mal-formed stools and pain is coming from too.

The mouth and nose ulcers are likely coming from vitamin deficiencies, as the bugs in your gut gobble up all your vitamins, particularly the B-Group, so you're unlikely to be absorbing as much as you need.

A functional pathology stool test is the next investigation you need to do if the doctor tests come back inconclusive.

Hope this helps - let me know if you want more info.

Regards, Olwen :-)

Hi Olwen,

Thank you very much for the reply.
i still havent got the results of the biopsy taken during colonoscopy but the barium enema test and come back normal.
the nose ulcer still persists though thankfully i dont have any mouth ulcers.
Anal itching (puritus ani) still persists but I have switched to an anti fungal /steroid which is proving much more effective than the pseudocream.
On top of all these I am feeling terribly tired and run down.
I am hoping to see my GP as soon as I get the results for the biopsy and request for a functional pathology test.
They had done a stool test in the last month, which also came back normal.
sorry to sound daft but is that anyway near to what is a functional pathology test?

JKD

Hi jkd

A doctor's stool test is usually looking for a specific bug or marker, its not usually a functional pathology test, unless it looks at ALL the functioning - pH, presence of bugs, level of short chain fatty acids, presence of digestive enzymes, that sort of thing.

What part of the world do you live in? I may be able to direct you towards some information that could help you understand what's going on.

Regards, Olwen :-)

I really appreciate your comments and help in this matter. I live in UK and it would be very helpful if you could suggest a place here where i can get this tested. Since my last post, I have had dull pain just below the rib cage both on the left and right sides, back and anal itching persists. I also have had 2 mouth ulcers, both lasting a week or so. I am very concerned about the "mouth ulcers - tummy problems - anal itching" cycle as it has been going on for a good few months now and am feeling very tired and depressed. I was thinking it might be something related to sexual issues but that has been ruled out by doctors. I am in a fix and would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Hi jkd

Thanks for the extra info. All the symptoms you are describing can come from a functional bowel problem, including the emotional ones.

To find a functional medicine practitioner in your area, do a google search for 'genova diagnostics uk'. This will lead you to the Genova Diagnostics web site, they have a practitioner directory. Or do a google search for 'functional medicine uk' which will lead you to some functional medicine practitioner web sites.

Take a look, let us know how you go.

Regards, Olwen :-)

i myself have the same problem for years been to doctors and all sorts of test nothing comes back that i have a problem .i dont no what to do myself any suggestions

You might be Milk Intolerance - try soya for a week!

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I have experienced all the symptoms you are describing except for pain (not associated with the stomach upset.)  I am lactose intolerant (as are most Asians) and I probably have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).  I may even have celiac disease but I have not been tested. 

I have controlled my symptoms for years by maintaining a regular bowel movement schedule.  I try to have a BM EVERY morning before I leave the house.  This sometime means sitting on the toilet for 20-30 minutes, but it is worth the time to not have to worry about my stomach being upset during the day and explosive diarrhea in a public bathroom.  I eat a light breakfast every morning along with a cup of strong coffee.  A doctor once told me that the combination of cold and hot in short succession can bring on a BM.  In Korea, they drink hot water after meals, probably for this reason.

Once I got my BM's regular and cut back on dairy, I very rarely have an upset stomach, constipation or diarrhea, and infrequently get mouth sores now (those I get are usually brought on if I damage my mouth by say biting my lip while chewing.)

They do have medicine of IBS, and there are over the counter Lactaid pills to help with dairy digestion. 

All these conditions are also aggravated by stress.

Hi there myself too I have been experiencing some strange pains in my upper abdomen....it feels like a stabbing pain and discomfort and I sometimes have short breath and itching in my butt and I once noticed some blood in my stools for a day and nausea but I have very high appetite and once am too full I become dizzy or when I sleep.....what could it be?

Lambia giardia wac the culprit for me