I have been experiencing some weird things lately. At times I feel like I am going crazy. I have to say that there are some cases of mental problems in my family. I am afraid that I have one of the illnesses like bipolar disorder, depression or schizophrenia. What should I do?

The first thing you should do is go to your doctor, to know for sure what is happening with you. Only with examining you, your doctor can determine if you have one of these disorders that you have mentioned. So, I can help you by giving you some details about these disorders that you have mentioned. See if you can recognize some of the symptoms. Bipolar disorder is actually manic depression and it is characterized by moods that swing between two opposite poles: periods of mania and episodes of depression. The number of episodes varies from person to person and bipolar disorder can affect anyone. The real cause is still unknown and it is not curable. Depression is related to physical changes in the brain and chemical imbalance and symptoms vary from person to person. Women have greater chances of getting depression then men. Schizophrenia is characterized by profound disruption in cognition and emotion. It affects the most fundamental human attributes: language, thought, perception, affect and sense of self. Symptoms are divided into positive and negative because of their impact on diagnosis and treatment. Characteristic symptoms of schizophrenia are delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, disorganized or catatonic behavior etc.