Hi, I have a friend that is scheduled to have a fine needle biopsy. It all started when she found out that she has a lump of some kind in her breast. At first she was scared to go to see a doctor but after persuading her, she gave in. I know what having a lump could mean. I would like to know something more about biopsy?

Hi, it is good that you were able to influence your friend that way. It is very important that she went to see a doctor. The procedure that she was scheduled to have is one of the possibilities to find out the background of the lump. Fine needle biopsy is done by long hollow needle. It is inserted in the lump. With it, a part of the tissue or fluid of the lump is removed. This part is than examined and the diagnosis is made. Your friend will also be informed of next steps that should be taken for permanent treatment of the lump. The lump can be removed through the surgery if it turns out to be malignant. In this case the surgery will be followed by chemotherapy. But, in most of the cases breast lumps turn out to be benign.