Hi, I am just curious. I know that if a person has a breast cancer or a tumor, she needs to undergo a surgery. The aim of the surgery is to remove the cancer. I also heard that the removal of cancer is called biopsy. What I did not know is that there are, apparently, different biopsy techniques. Would you be so kind of explaining at least one of them? Thank you.

Hi, you are right. If someone has a breast, or any other, cancer, it is very important to get that cancer removed. It is also very important to diagnose the cancer in its early stages of development. The procedure by which the cancer is removed is called biopsy. This procedure is also used for removal of different types of lumps including cyst. And yes, there are different biopsy techniques. Fine needle biopsy is used for the non cancerous lumps. It uses a hollow needle for removal of tissue or a fluid which is examined under a microscope. If it is used on a cancerous lump it may leave a trail of cancer cells on the tissue that is not affected. In that case, another technique is used to remove both the cancer and the part of the tissue that was in the path of the needle. Such techniques are lumpectomy or mastectomy. Lumpectomy is a procedure by which only the cancer or the affected tissue is removed. Mastectomy is the removal of the entire breast. I think that this satisfies your curiosity.