Hi, I have a huge problem that scares me a lot. A week ago I found out that my body has changed. While showering, I felt a lump in my left breast. I immediately knew what it can mean. I went to see a doctor and he scheduled a stereotactic biopsy. I was not quite myself that day and I did not ask a question that I am about to ask you. What is stereotactic biopsy?

Hi, the condition that you have is best examined by a procedure which uses a hollow needle that is passed through the skin to the lump, with the help of breast x-ray. The further analysis of the tissue that was obtained this way will show if the lump is malignant or benign. A special mammography machine pinpoints the area of the tissue change. This procedure is called stereotactic biopsy. Another name for it is x-ray guided biopsy. Another specialist examines the removed tissue and makes the final judgment of it. The doctors than prepare the methods of treatment if it turns out that the lump is a sign of a breast cancer. I hope that the stereotactic biopsy will show that your cyst is not malignant.