Hi, my mother discovered a lump in her left breast. We were both scared. I took her to the doctor and after some tests we found out what the lump in her breast is. Apparently it is a cyst. The doctors said that there is no need to worry too much since it can be treated. An operation is scheduled. What I would like you to tell me is if there can be some complications after breast biopsy?

Hi, a cyst that has formed in the breast of your mother needs to be removed. The doctors told you everything and did not hold any information. Your mother will be given a general anesthetic which means that she will be asleep during the operation. In almost every case, the patient is released home the very same day on which the operation is performed. As for the complications, there may be some feelings of pain in the area of the cut. Couple of pain killers will end that discomfort. Your mother should look for any bleeding that might occur in the first day after the surgery. If the wound is large, bruising and swelling may cause some troubles. It takes up to six weeks for the swelling to settle down. Sometimes, but extremely rarely, infections could emerge but are controlled with antibiotics and will disappear within a month. I should also mention that sometimes the cyst can be aspirated with a thin needle which causes it to collapse. Maybe this would be a better solution in your mother's case. Try talking to her doctor about this.