Im 21, i have a 18 month old daughter have never had health problems (other than fainting for no reason since i was 10) I was recently in a car accident on the highway (someone hit my vehicle and ran) the night i got home i noticed a lump in the center of my large lump in the center of my thyroid! I went to the er they sent me to a heart specialist and the heart specialist sent me to an oncologist! She preformed a fna ( Fine needle aspiration) they determined the cells are abnormal they can't tell if they are cancerous or not for sure. The ultrasound also showed two small masses on the right side of my thyroid! She scheduled me for a total thyroidectomy on may 21, 2010! I'm so scared ive never had surgery I know it needs done! Any words of encouragment and what should i except after the sugery?

I had a total thyroidectomy April 21. It all began with a friend noticing a lump on the right side of my throat which my GP suggested was a goiter and referred me to an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist simply felt my neck, said he felt several goiters but the largest one he felt concern was cancerous. Next, the ultrasound, then later, the fine needle aspiration which the pathologist conceded could be indicative of cancer. I was then scheduled to meet with the surgeon who explained that they would perform a biopsy mid-surgery and if the pathologist at the surgery found it to be cancerous, only then would they perform a total. If he wasn’t sure, only a semi-total would be performed to take out the portions of my thyroid that were “cold,” or not active. More intense testing would be made on the mass post-surgery to rule out carcinoma. If those tests proved it to be certainly cancerous then they’d go in and remove the rest. Seems to me your doctor is way ahead of the gun, just like my endocrinologist. Only a pathologist should comment on whether it’s cancer or not.

Of course, I wanted the whole thyroid gone the first go ‘round, but as my surgeon explained, it’s a rather invasive surgery, and if they can’t be certain of cancer, they’ll not remove the whole thing. The remaining portion of the gland could function for me.

The pathologist in the surgery did determine one of the nodules to be cancerous and the total was performed. Oddly, it wasn’t the largest nodule (as the endocrinologist said) that was cancerous; it was a teeny, tiny one – the smallest -- on the other side of my neck.

I entered the hospital Wednesday morning and was released the next early evening. If you’d care for details on the hospital stay, please let me know.

My throat was sore, but my voice was unaffected when I returned home. It was found I have a small mouth, so tubing me I hear was rather difficult and I imagine that added to the post-surgery soreness in my throat.

By Saturday morning, I felt I could have returned to work, but figured I’d just use the excuse to kick it for a while. It was also the first day I could shower the sutured area and felt no stinging or sensitivity in the area when I did. The liquid adhesive they used, Dura Bond, is good stuff. Monday morning I returned to work. My choice. I felt great. Even better than before the surgery. Seriously. I felt GREAT.

Two weeks later I met with my surgeon, Dura Bond still in place, and he told me to go ahead and peel it off any time. It was off later that day, the cut line closed.

Three weeks later we’re now working to schedule my radioactive iodine treatment that serves to kill any microscopic portions of the thyroid that may still remain. This part I will find the most inconvenient. I must avoid prolonged contact with anyone for fear the radioactive iodine I will be exuding will disrupt the function of healthy thyroids of those I come in contact with. I’m needing to schedule myself off work for a week, keep people 6 feet away for any time period, wash my laundry and eating dinnerware and silver from all others, etc. It’s OK to go shopping 72 hours after the treatment, just be careful not to spend time in long lines. And don’t go the airport, I’m told. You’ll set off some of the sensors there and concern the Department of Homeland Security. :-)

Recovery time and experiences vary from person to person. I’m a 48 year old female. I don’t exercise with any regularity (but I don’t live idly either), just have a great set of genes passed on to me.

Lastly, my thanks to that large mass on the right side of my neck noticed by my friend that set this whole thing off. It’s like he hollered out, “Hello. Notice me. I’m OK, but there’s a little guy around the corner you might want to have a look at.”

Tell me if there’s anything you’d like me to speak about further. And of course, best of luck. In some part, I can’t help to believe that it’s as bad, or good, as we choose it to be.

I'm scheduled for a total thyroidectomy in a few days and just wandering if you've had any weight gain since your procedure.

iv had mine 3 mounth ago iv not gain no weight mine still coming of

I'm a 57 yr. old female with multiple health problems. I started having thyroid problems when I was about 23. At 37 yrs. old I was having trouble swallowing and thought my thyroid looked swollen, I went to the doc. My GP said no, but my OB-GYN said definately a problem. I went in for a needle biopsy and it was inconclusive. The surgeon insisted on taking out my thyroid, with the possiblillity of leaving 1 side in. Everyone I knew that had had thyroid surgery told me to have them take the whole thing out because most of the time the doctors end up going back in to remove the half they left. During surgery they found that the whole thyroid was mushy and pre-cancerous, so they took the whole thing out. You must have blood test about every 6 months to check your thyroid level. I have been on numerous doses of synthroid over all these yrs. I did gain weight but other factors were involved as well. I have never had the energy that I had prior to the surgery. kjbe

This is the first positsive experience I have read. Most have issues with voice, swallowing, pain and such. I am due to have my thyroid removed (as well as two of my daughters, all three of us have papillary caarcinoma). Our surgeries are three weeks apart, with my daughter going next week. We all feel great right now. I just wish we could find an alternative!! Scared to have this done...... Thanks for any advise

I had a thyroidectomy in Aug, 2012. Surgery went fine. In one day out the next. The following day I started tingeling all over. I called the surgeon and he told me to get to the hospital right away. They put me in intensive care. My calcium levels dropped almost to 0. I was in for 5 more days then they released me and I was home for one day and back in Intensive care for another 5 days. They gave me massive calcium IV's and magnesium also. The only way they would let me out was if I would see and endrocronologist that day. Turns out I can not absorb calcium in pill form; only in the chews. They now have my calcium level fixed, but during the surgery I lost 2 of my parathyroid glands so they are having trouble getting that level taken care of. I read all of the post on this and I am so glad that I am not the only crazy person here. My skin itches so bad it isn't even funny. I feel like bugs are crawling on me. I have a hard time sleeping and my memory is better since I had the surgery. i have put on so much weight post surgery I don't know what to do. These doctors need to get togeather and figure this all out so we don't have to be the ones that suffer. I think people are tired of hearing that I just don't feel that great. That the surgery was suppose to fix the problem. My voice is lower and I don't have a whole lot of volume when I talk. On the flip side I have a great scar. You can hardly see it. In the begining it was 2 1/2 inches across my throat, and now it's just a thin line. I had a great surgeon.