Lately I have heard something that really surprised me. I have heard one boy has bipolar disorder. I know that is manic depression, but I always thought to be rare in children. I have heard that now researchers are discovering that not only can bipolar disorder begin very early in life, but also it is much more common than ever imagined. Since I guess symptoms are different then adult’s, I would like to hear more about bipolar in children.

Children and adolescents with bipolar disorder may have many or all of the following general symptoms. You could recognize the child or adolescent, because he will alternate between a depressed mood and a manic or overactive state. In a manic state, a child or adolescent may be extremely cheerful, and experience elation. Sometimes it is reported bipolar cause sudden angry or irritable feelings. Child may have little need for sleep and have a continuous stream of high energy, and it may look like hyperactivity. Some children and adolescents become overconfident in a manic phase and engage in dangerous behavior. Commonly, they think in a grandiose style, and may believe that they have powers that are superior to everyone else. Rarely, the child or adolescent will have psychotic symptoms, and it usually show up as auditory hallucinations or delusional thinking. Child with bipolar may also believe that he or she is being punished for being special. Usually, bipolar is treated with a combination of medication and therapy.