Is there a correlation between eating habits through one's first twenty years of life and bipolar? By eating habits, I mean intake of very little protein or fat. Do people with bipolar disorder have eating disorders as well, like bulimia and anorexia? I have two nieces who fit this profile and have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. That’s why I want to know is there a connection between the diet habits and diagnosis?

I am not aware of any research showing that the specific dietary pattern you describe is correlated with bipolar. I can say that I doubt very much that this has been investigated in any systematic fashion. That said there are some intriguing connections between both diet and eating disorders. Here I include and the diagnosis of bipolar disorder you mentioned. First of all, there is great interest in the role of certain omega-3-fatty acids in treatment of bipolar disorder. These so-called marine fats are found in tuna and other fish, and in certain nuts. There are some evidences suggest that a deficiency of such omega-3-fatty acids may be associated with the development of bipolar disorder. It may be that some genetic factor predisposes to both conditions. For example, might an adolescent with a cyclical mood disorder learn to eat more at certain times of his or her mood cycles than others? It is clinically recognized that during the depressed phase of bipolar disorder, some patients often gain considerable amounts of weight

I am not aware of any research showing that either, but I've also heard that some patterns you describe can be linked with bipolar (it can be, but it doesn't happen always).
Over eating or "being eating" (a new disease) are often related to a period of great depression or euforia, but it can also be something completelly different from that and be caused by other things rather that humour and mood cycles

I am bi-Polar myself, and have beliemia narcosa (I throw up afetr eating) This is not an unheard of mix. I read a book about a week ago linking bi-polar with Buliemia Narcosa or BN, OCD, ODD, ADHD, ADD and Asspergers (a type of autisim) I was suprised considering I have OCD and Bi-Polar along with BN, and at some points I have anerexia as well.