While I was in visit of my friend’s parents I have heard something confusing. It was all about one child, which seems to act very strange. They explained me he is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I could not believe, because I have never heard some child has bipolar. Did doctors make some mistake or it is really possible that child of 5-6 years old is diagnosed with bipolar?

Bipolar disorder was once thought to be rare in children. Now researchers are discovering that not only can bipolar disorder begin very early in life. They discovered also it is much more common than ever imagined. Yet the illness is often misdiagnosed or overlooked, so that child seems to be lucky to get right diagnose. Bipolar disorder manifests itself differently in children than in adults. In children there is an overlap of symptoms, with some other childhood psychiatric disorders. Child’s symptoms may be as a depressed or irritable mood most of the day, nearly everyday. There may also be noticeably diminished pleasure with interest in most activities. The child or adolescent may withdraw from friendships, which is very commonly. There may also be noticeable changes in appetite, which can be either increased or decreased. The child or adolescent may also have trouble sleeping for and may sleep excessively.

wait so they miss it alot in children?? cause i just read the symptoms you posted and i noticed i am exactly like tat. i angry or miserable like everyday i do not like to do anything besides skate. i dont eat a lot anymore and i either get no sleep or too much. should i be worried about any of this???

my cousin was bipolar from birth. It can be detected in genes, and can be treated very well. However, this is a very devastating disorder to be diagnosed with. Most bipolar kids dont live past the age of 30...things usually end up in suicide...unfortunately, my cousin is near the suicidal stage...
:'(

Oh, and to the guy above me. The most common symptom is to be verrrry happy one week, and then extremely depressed over the next few days. THey have a weird system sometimes, and sometimes even very small things can set a bi polar person off. It is typical for them - during depression stages - to lock themselves in rooms for days at a time, leaving only to go to the bathroom. Im pretty sure you would realize there is something wrong. And if the section above applied to you, get medical attention from your doctor, your unhappiness can be curbed to an extreme extent!

Bi-polar is usually considered ADD in young children. Bi-polar cannot be diagnosed at birth, and to do so is not doing justice for the child. Just because the parents or someone in the family might be bi-polar does not mean the child has it (even though it can raise the probably).