I'm 28 Male. I have been having black dots in the stool whenever I go pass motion. My bowel movement is atleast 2 to 3 times a day. I will see the black dot in the stool on the 2nd or 3rd time pass motion a day. Been having this for almost more than 1 month. I'm begining to be worry. Is this normal?

Hello there,

Usually black dots in stool can happen due to eating certain foods. Taking iron supplements and even internal bleeding can cause black dots as well.

If you are taking iron supplements for iron-deficient anemia the black dots in your stool are consequence of that and I am surprised why your doctor hasn’t mentioned this to you.

Black licorice, blueberries and some other dark blue or black foods can also cause black stools and you can check if this is the cause by avoiding this type of food for some time and then see the result.

If the bleeding is the cause of black dots be aware that there are various conditions for this such as bleeding ulcer or gastritis. You need to get examined by the doctor to confirm are the black dots in your stool blood. If so than you will have to find out the reason of this bleeding but hopefully this isn’t the case.